"Natural" Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandman
    Nah. 'It' might have done nothing whatsoever, and you felt better anyway. If I started clapping every time it started raining, I might eroneously conclude that clapping constantly made it eventually stop raining.
    Yeah, but I'm smart enough to know that and take it into consideration.

Not all drugs fight the symptoms, not the infectious agent.

Which is why I specified cold medicines.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Brizey
      Coughs spread disease, mucus provides a breeding ground for secondary bacterial infections, and fevers are generally ineffective against viral infections.
      Coughs and sneezes also help remove phlem from your body, which is mucus filled with dead foreign bodies. The two together help you move invaders out where they can't hurt you anymore. And while fevers aren't terribly effective, they are slightly effective. These are defenses that we have evolved over millions of years. If they didn't have some beneficial effect, they wouldn't be universal. Granted, diseases have also evolved to keep up, it's a never ending war.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Fevers increase the overall effectiveness of your immune response. Cells like macrophages work better in higher temperatures.

Mind you, the immune system is a beautifully complicated mess. Despite being evolved for a million years, it is rather defective. But still the best defense we've got.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          Which one is that? I work for them, and I see nothing evil about most of them.
          How about Upjohn? I worked for them, and they qualify
          as "evil". Rogaine, Copyright strongarm tactics.

Comment

DP
            Last edited by Ozz; January 29, 2003, 13:29.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                Fevers increase the overall effectiveness of your immune response. Cells like macrophages work better in higher temperatures.

Mind you, the immune system is a beautifully complicated mess. Despite being evolved for a million years, it is rather defective. But still the best defense we've got.
                It's a marvellous system, I wouldn't really call it defective, it just isn't perfect, that's all, but it's benefits outweigh it's negatives...allows an adult to reach reproductive age, and that is the only selection pressure there is.

Pyrogenesis is helpful in killing off bacteria, like sterilisation...unfortunately it isn't good for the body either, but if it kills a lot of the pathogen off then it is worthwhile.

Your body does have more strategies to fight viruses, interferon secretion from an infected cell warns neighbouring cells by slowing their rates of translation (protein synthesis) slowing down the manufacturing of viral components, giving more time for cytotoxic T lymphocytes to come along and apoptose a virally infected cell. I must say, out of all the fields I have studied, immunology was by far my favourite.

Anyway, what were we talking about again?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Anyway, what were we talking about again?
                  How cold medicines actually harm your body's ability to fight off colds while some herbal or mineral suppliments seem to stimulate your body's ability to fight. I recommend health doses of echanacea, aspergillas, vitimin c, zinc, and elderberry as soon as you feel a cold coming on. Haven't had a cold in years, and I used to get sick multiple times each winter.

Comment

I don't think they do impair the function of your body to fight infections particularly. These medicines can be quite effective at relieving symptoms which are uncomfortable, but the only way to really give your body a chance is plenty of rest, warmth and nourishment...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Brizey
                      mucus provides a breeding ground for secondary bacterial infections
                      Drink lots of scotch to kill them germs, and save yer friends from infection.

Comment

Working...
                      X