Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of grades did you get in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of grades did you get in school?

I hear grad inflation is bad. Check out this article. I'm shocked so many students had A averages. Made my A average look like nothign . So what kind of average did you have? This poll may not apply to Europeans. I have no idea what grade system you use. I'll use the GPA system. My school district had a system where they added in bonus points for the number of Advanced Placement and Distinguished Scholar classes you took. This was good because it rewards guys who took a lot of advanced classes over some person who took a whole bunch of easy classes. With the bonus' I was way over 4.00

I am curious how much grade inflation is going on. If you want to post your GPA and what year you will be/were a senior in high school that may be a better indication.

Over 4.00
    28.57%
    7.14%
    3.50 to 3.99
    28.57%
    3.00 to 3.49
    17.86%
    2.50 to 2.99
    10.71%
    2.00 to 2.49
    3.57%
    below 2.00
    3.57%

In the US I found it effortless to have a 4.0 through jr. high. My highest mark ever remains 105% in 8th grade science.

In Canada, the scale is much harsher in my experience. A ~95% in the US is about ~80% in Canadian public schools.

Anyway, throughout high school probably around 3.50 to 3.99 if we used a GPA.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hmmm... Is your system from 0 to 5?

Well, our system isfrom 4 to 10, and my gpa was 8.9, so my gpa in your system would have been 4.08?
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

The GPA system is typically 0-4.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

you really aren't supposed to go over 4.00. That is supposed to be perfect.

In fact why did I include over 4.00 in my poll if I asked for base GPA.s . That's what I get for posting and drinking.

Comment

Some universities count an A+ as a 4.25.

Mine counts A+ and A both as 4.00.

Comment

Does anyone have some translator, from the danish system (00, 03, 5-11. 13) to that other grade system?
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

While we use completely different systems over here, grade inflation is happening here too. If grades are anything to go by, people's minds are evolving faster than Computer processors
                Up The Millers

Comment

The GPA system is typically 0-4.

Then you must have some extra talent to get gpa's over 4...
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Hmm this GPA, is that the average result of all your subjects?

luckily, we only work with percentages!! for example 76/100

it's easy to use and it's also easy to see minor differences between students!

I've never understood those A+ thingies
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

An average of 7....our system is from 1 to 10....3 to 8 actually used....

Comment

Straight As.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Straight As in high school, started slacking off during college, and I recently started trying again.

IMO grades are misleading. An 'A' student may come from very poor educational standards and may become a 'C' student in a more competitive setting. Also, within a given class, a student who earned a grade of 'A' does not imply that s/he knows more about the subject than one who earned a lower grade.

It seems to me that educational standards throughout the US are conforming to lower and lower standards. I do not think the problem is the students' ability; rather, it is their unwillingness to do well academically and/or the values of the environment they exist in that do not emphasize the value of knowledge. If this trend continues, our nation will end up with perhaps the dumbest middle class in the world.

just my 2 cents

Comment

I've always found percentages much easier to use. Can't remember what my grades in the States were but in Canada, I consistently averaged 89%-90% throughout highschool. 102% was my best course grade, in Grade 11 Biology. I got a perfect score on the exam.

*modest*
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

My grades used to be in the 1-5, I had around 2,8-3,2 in my mid teens. Mostly because i didn't care. I'd say that it improved to around 4 when I didn't have classes in physics, chemisty and biology anymore.

Anyhow, comparing grades is mostly bs. Grades are on the ordinal scale and also subjective. People seems to miss this.

Comment

Working...
                              X