No announcement yet.

Standoff at Baghdad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first thing we will do is try to secure the oil fields and borders of Iraq.

The territorial integrity of Iraq, at least nominally, is in the interest of Iran, which also has a sizeable Kurdish population. Two can play a game of division, should it come to that.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
      The first thing we will do is try to secure the oil fields and borders of Iraq.
      I think securing or destroying Iraq scuds and any known location of working WMDs might take a little more priority.
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• edan, dont you realize that bush wants iraq to use WMDs so he can say "told ya so!"
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Either way, we will do this quickly, so as to minimize Iran's occassion to sin. A matter of days once we cross the border, not weeks.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Uday, Saddam's eldest son, has threaten the US with something that would make 9/11 look like a picnic (even while denying Iraq had WoMD).

The state department has put all Americans in the world on alert to evacuate home.

It looks like the first thing we have to do is detect and defeat whatever Uday has planned.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• It will only take a few hours for the Iranians to knock out some of the dents in their border with Iraq. They may try to firmly stake their claim on the Shatt al arab river, seeing as it's been disputed for centuries.

I seriously doubt that they'll challenge the US for control over some of the disputed uninhabited islands in the Gulf, however. That would be insane.

Comment

• I don't think that the Iranians are stupid enough to directly challenge the US in combat.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

• March 3rd will be the day that the US will attack Iraq. You heard it here first.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Everyone one keeps quoting different dates. The reporters are just guessing like the rest of us.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Not True! it'll be on the 30th of February! I know it!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• I wasn't quoting. I thought in my mind 31st of Feb, but since there isnt a 31st of Feb, or 30th, or 29th, so i converted it into the terms of March.

Its true tho, i dont have a clue.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Iran has actually been backing off from "US interests" lately. For instance, it has backed off in supporting its candidate over the American candidate in Afghanistan. I find it unlikely that they'll try a coup, but I do think that a democratic Iraq would have relatively friendly relations with Iran.

Then again, Shrub has undermined what little power over the Mullahs Khatami had left, so it's hard to tell what will happen.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                            March 3rd will be the day that the US will attack Iraq. You heard it here first.
                            No way, Jose! The U.S. and whatever allies she has will begin blowing Iraq away on March 15!!!!!

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• Ned imagine seal. Got it? Then imagine flooding and some people with guns. Guess what, they shotted seal because they was afraid that seal could drown. I'm in that country.
                              No I'm too young to remember first second or third occupation, however I'm writer and I know well how some people react to some situations, and my granny remembered two occupations.

I would be more afraid of Turkey. Don't you think they have some plan with Kurds? US would do nice cover for them and Turkey...

Wow another game of date guess?
                              Actually end of February would be more likely. US do this actions mainly at end of the month. However, they would like to be sure about French position. /End of February? GalCiv would be released. /

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                                Not True! it'll be on the 30th of February! I know it!
                                At midnight on the morning of March 3 it is still March 2 in the US.

All predictors could be right on the date.

The last war started as I was going to the airport in Oklahoma City. The news had the green anti-aircraft fire from Baghdad and reports from the Iraqi capital on US airraids. That was aroung 5 p m. in the evening of January 15, 1991, IIRC. That would have been Jan. 16 in Iraq.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X