No announcement yet.

Can Blair survive Bush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the reasons maybe the french enjoy veto'ing american SC resolutions, is that you DONT respect them!
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Blair will survive.

I think this was already mentioned but the U.K. really doesn't have any alternatives. I believe this is why despite doing very little his first term Blair was elected to a second term if I'm understanding British politics correctly.
      When one is someone, why should one want to be something?
      ~Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If you add the Tories to Tony's majority they'll need a lot more for a succesfull revolt. There's no way IDS is gongi to vote against the government on this, they're coming out with more hawkish language than the government is. Anyway, Tories have their fingers in lot of corporations and war means nice new contracts

Comment

Blair is a smart cookie. His star is not hitched to Bush's.

It seems unlikely that the backbench would revolt, when troops are in the field. I guess the UK has a "support the troops" political dynamic while so close to action?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I guess Britain is now seeing the consequence of giving one party such a lopsided majority. It seems Blair has a free hand to do pretty much whatever he wants now...
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Someone mentioned the church leaders.

How about we demand the same proof from them in their profession that they are demanding from Blair.

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I don't think Blair will be forced out over this.

I think he might insist that there is a UN resolution before we go to war. Otherwise he's really shooting himself in the foot... that said, with his majority and the main opposition party even more out of touch with the public on this issue then I'm not sure even that would force him out. Would they vote out Tony and then vote in the Tories who have much stronger support for unilateral war against Iraq? Seems unlikely.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Blair is a smart cookie. His star is not hitched to Bush's.

It seems unlikely that the backbench would revolt, when troops are in the field. I guess the UK has a "support the troops" political dynamic while so close to action?
                  Nothing like the US', from what I've seen...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                    I don't think Blair will be forced out over this.

I think he might insist that there is a UN resolution before we go to war. Otherwise he's really shooting himself in the foot... that said, with his majority and the main opposition party even more out of touch with the public on this issue then I'm not sure even that would force him out. Would they vote out Tony and then vote in the Tories who have much stronger support for unilateral war against Iraq? Seems unlikely.
                    That's the thing. He might not be in for a majority government next time round if he does anything like this (fight without UN). What's the current breakdown of Parliament?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We support the troops, not the politicians. Massive difference. We know it's not the soldiers fault if they are sent into action so there's no point blaming them.

BBC news world uk international foreign british online service general election results politics political parties opinion polls constituencies candidates

Labour: 413, Conservative: 166, Lib Dem: 52, others: 28
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Wow. The Lib Dems are in for some pickups (I would guess) if Blair does anything rash. Maybe they could be the official opposition...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes. The Liberals are the least pro war party of the three. And the most left wing. You'd assume that any votes lost from labour because of anti-war feelings would go to the lib dems.

Labour would have to lose a huge number of seats to lose power though. Blair is mainly seen to be doing a good job as well by most people. He comes across as a good leader anyway. We're always very critical of our leaders. That's what being in a democracy is about. The opposition leaders really aren't very inspiring.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Don't even know who your opposition leaders are. I've got enough to keep track of over here. 4 of the 5 major parties have (or will have) switched their leaders in a period of ~18 months.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Charles Kennedy - Liberal Democrats

Ian and/or Duncan Smith - Conservatives but he's even more low profile than William Hague was before him so no-one knows who he is either.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Kennedy is the only one of the three with a positive approval rating, and it's high as well - over 35% IIRC.
                                "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X