Can Blair survive Bush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Blair survive Bush?

As of right now, a showdown over Iraq in the UN seems to be fast approching:

Jan 27: UN weapons inspectors report
    Jan 28: US State of the Union speech
    Jan 31: Summit between Bush and Blair in Camp David.

As various threads state, the possibility that the UN explicitly renounce a invasion of Iraq at this point seems possible, which brings up the point about Tony Blair's political position.
    Popular support for a war right now in the UK is very low, and the same is true or support within the ruling party: unlike in the US, popular opinion (and party opinion) in the UK can bring down governments, with votes of no confidence.

So, lets take the following, possible scenerio (likely one, too):
    The US declares that time has run out for Iraq, that a war will soon be on, but the UN refuses to support Bush, thus makin this war, one of the "willing"; Blair, having gone in too deep, has to back Bush and send Britian to war as well. What happens in Britian then?

1) Mass protests by anti-war groups, but Labor backbenchers decide to stick with Tony?
    2) ditto, except that Labor backbenchers revolt, throwing the current Labor leadership (that is, Tony) into a political crisis?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Would Blairs decision be backed by his government?
    This is the big question.
    I remember reading about rising dissence about the War in Iraq within the party and the parliament.

If Blair acts smart he will support Bushs war only if the UN give their O.K.
    And I somehow trust Blair more on this matter than George W. Bush
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Various fairly prominent anti war types in the Labour Party have been rather quiet. It is quite likely that they have been more or less promised no war without an explicit UN mandate. Time will tell.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

It depends the way war on Iraq goes.

I don't really see an alternative. The tories are actually very supportive of Blair. now if they could actually switch sides without getting flag for inconsistency... nah, that would be too ... continental.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

The government majority is so big that a massive back bench revolt is required.

There is also no guarentee that the Tories would vote against the government if IDS is made privy to the things Tony "knows".
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

A vote of no confidence is doubtful. But Tony might be in for a leadership review sometime before the next election if he massively violates the wishes of his caucus, as a war without UN support is likely to do.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is, of course, assuming I'm reading Brit politics correctly. I'm not as plugged in to them as I am to Canadian and American politics.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Massive anti-war protests could bring Blair down. No one thought tax protests would bring down Thatcher. Most likely Blair would resign rather than face a vote of no-confidence, which would force an election.

You Brits need to hop to it. Blair needs to be reminded he serves the interests of the British elites, not the American government.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You Brits need to hop to it. Blair needs to be reminded he serves the interests of the British elites, not the American government.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

There's already steam building in the Cabinet over the issue - and not just Clare Short shooting her mouth off either (though we all love it when she does). Cook and even Brown himself are said to have reservations about a war on Iraq.
                    Also...what size is Blair's majority again? 160 something? So it requires a revolt of a little over 80 to push a vote the other way...I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible. Especially with public opinion swinging so obviously away from a war. 77% (from www.mori.com) oppose a unilateral war against Iraq, while 39% oppose even UN-backed military action.
                    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Blairs position is still too stong for even a bad war to threaten his position, especially as the opposition is even more pro war, and the lib dems are still not breaking into 2nd position. At the end of the day, British politics is about re-election, MP's will think carefully, do they support the war in Iraq .. probably not, will they still have their seat at the next election, probably .. so they will not be too concerned. Of course, there are a few MP's who have put their own morality before party, and it is those that are making noises now.

I would not say that support for war amongst the British people is very low, Id say an American attack on Iraq without UN agreement would certainly not be supported, however, a UN backed war on Iraq would receive a 50/50 for/against.

A lot of the protesters at the recent anti war rallies are the usual suspects, along with a few religious groups who should (in my opinion) have been out on the streets in equal measure after Sep 11th .. but thats another thread.

War in Iraq will not threaten blair, however, if a credible opposition was to come about, (ie IDS replaced with Kenneth Clarke) and big mistakes were made, and people were killed .. then I believe blair would find for the first time, his job on the line.
                      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

It is very scary that Blair is still intent on taking the country into war in the face of the majority being opposed to it. He is really going to cause trouble if he keep going ahead.
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can just see Blair being overthrown because France vetoed a U.N. authorization for war against Iraq.

My god, but the people of England must really love and respect France.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Nahh won't happen .. the British people couldn't overthrow maggie for 3 terms, and Blair will be no different.

some people don't like what is happening, but when they look at the alternatives, they suddenly realise, who else is there ???

Blair will not loose an election, he will stand down sometime in his 3rd term.
                            "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                              I can just see Blair being overthrown because France vetoed a U.N. authorization for war against Iraq.

My god, but the people of England must really love and respect France.
                              Yeah, right. The only reason the UN won't authorize force is that the French will veto it. It has nothing to do with the fact that the US has failed to provide any evidence whatsoever of Saddam possessing WMD.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X