What happened to the Enron story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the Enron story?

Isn't it funny how many of the same players in the Silverado S&L scandal are also involved in the Enron scandal? And isn't it funny that when the S&L fiasco was looming large, we suddenly decided to invade Iraq? Now here we are 13 years later. The Enron scandal is now swept off the headlines, by ... surprise an impending invasion of Iraq. Am I the only one who thinks this is more than a little strange?
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Yep, just shows that lagal battles won't get in the way of a good fight.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The Enron scandal was swept off the front page by NOBODY GIVING A ****.

It just became a Time-magazine-picks-really-bad-people-of-the-year, everyone-tries-to-cash-in-on-tragedy run-of-the-mill tackyfest. Nothing new is happening. "News Flash: Ken Lay still sucks!"
      I refute it thus!
      "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Didn't you hear? There's some white chick missing in California! Who cares about Enron when Lacy Peterson is missing????

Comment

People were defrauded out of their retirement savings. How can you say nobody gives a ****. I am certain that if it was your money, you would be singing a different tune. This is the old shell game or more bait and switch. Call it what you will, but it stinks.
          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Didn't you hear? There's some white chick missing in California! Who cares about Enron when Lacy Peterson is missing????
            I know the Enron story is hard to understand. God knows, I don't know all of the ins and outs of it, but I guess the old news cliche applies here, If it bleeds, it leads. The masses just love a good sob story, especially when it is easy to understand.

Comment

But what's newsworthy? Enron stunk 2 months ago. It still stinks. "Today's News: Enron employees STILL haven't gotten any money back!"
              I refute it thus!

Comment

But what's newsworthy? Enron stunk 2 months ago. It still stinks. "Today's News: Enron employees STILL haven't gotten any money back!"

That is news worthy. When millions of people are defrauded out of their savings, IT IS NEWS. The networks help to set the national agenda. If they insist on aiding and abetting these corporate crooks, then there isn't much hope for the little guy.

Comment

But they didn't get defrauded. When they got defrauded, it was news. But I don't think anyone would want to keep reading it in their papers. Because you can't spell NEWS without NEW.

If every really bad thing that happened stayed in the news for a long time, we'd still be hearing about the battle of Antietam. 5000 people died. It's a tragedy. Or more recently, that teract in Bali. Also a tragedy. But people KNOW already. If they want to be reminded of it, they can buy the book (in the case of Enron, any one of many).

I am just as concerned about the futures of these people as you, but reprinting their stories again and again won't help anything, especially not selling newspapers.
                  I refute it thus!

Comment

Aye, Goingonit is right here, It may have been big news at the time, but not anymore, it's like when Diana died, it was tragic at the time, but it really annoyed me how her death was being dragged up in the papers for years
                    Up The Millers

Comment

This is hardly Antietam. What was that 140 years ago? And Bali has little to no impact on the American public. I know a lot of you young folks can't pay attention to something for more than 60 seconds, but this is a serious affair. When Watergate, IranGate, WhitewaterGate was going on, the press just couldn't get enough. These stories went on for years.

Comment

Whitewater went on for like 2 days. She couldn't find the damn documents - everybody got over it. The thing aout Monicagate, Watergate, Irangate, et cetera, is that they were all ongoing things - the hostages were there, and Jimmy Carter kept trying to free them. Bill Clinton stuck his foot farther in his mouth almost every day, and there were new developments. Nixon - well, I won't even start with him.

But Enron is not moving anymore. Nothing's happening. If you give me a specific example of something that didn't get in the mainstream news, but should have, then I'll believe you.
                        I refute it thus!

Comment

I don't understand this obsession. Enron isn't news worthy anymore. I mean, there is nothing new to report. What are you going to write about?! The money's still gone?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Whitewater went on for like 2 days."

I'm sorry after a comment like that, I just cannot take you seriously.

Comment

No surprise that Imran is on the corporation's side.

Comment

Working...
                              X