No announcement yet.

More fuel to the SUV debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my 4wd. I suppose its an SUV. I use it for SUV.
    Attached Files
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Yup. That's an SUV. You evil bastard, you.

Comment

At least I take my SUV off road regularly and actually know how to engage 4wd - unlike a lot of SUV owners.

But Humvees - Jeez, driving those around the burbs is just ridiculous. I don't think they are very practical for off road either - wheel base is way, way too wide.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

hummer here I come. Where is the nearest dealer...

Comment

the wheel base is wide for better stability. It just doesn't allow you to go through thick bushes or trees. Great in the desert I'm sure

We have many, many humvees in Las Vegas. Including the stretch humvees. I have yet to see one off road

I have a 4 X 4, but it is a pickup, not a SUV. Dodge Ram to be specific.

Comment

But Humvees - Jeez, driving those around the burbs is just ridiculous. I don't think they are very practical for off road either - wheel base is way, way too wide.

The H2 is actually similar to more common SUVs. The H1 was basically only useful for military uses .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                the wheel base is wide for better stability. It just doesn't allow you to go through thick bushes or trees. Great in the desert I'm sure
                What about in the mountains and forests? The dirt roads around here are basically the width of a bull dozer blade. You couldn't get a humvee down those roads and even if you did noone could pass you from the other way. It would be the same in most parts of the world. You couldn't use a humvee in many kinds of terrain.

In the burbs, how do you park the damn thing? A humvee would take 2 normal parking spots. Imagine trying to drive one around in the mall parking lot

I'd like to know the logic of the humvee design.

Comment

I think that is the reason the H1 didn't sell very well.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The H2 is selling real well in Vegas. But even the H1 sold fairl well here. But that is because we our a town of decadence and indulgence.

And we also have many stretch humvees. There are also strectch Ford Excursions here.

Comment

And the military Hummer looks vertically quite cramped as well. I suppose it's the combination of high clearance and low profile that does it.

But why is no one interested in the 30k tax refund on a "business" Hummer (ie. mr. lawyer drives it to work)?
                      "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                      - Lone Star

Comment

But AH you misrepresent how wide the H1 is. It still fits within a traffic lane. And can fit in parking spots (leavine no room to spare like most vehicle though).

I'm certain it can fit in the width of a bulldoze blade. Or the military made a stupid mistake buying the things! They couldn't be used in combat zones with narrow roads!. But like I said, they aren't that wide.

Comment

and the logic of the humvee design is simple physics really.

you think these jackasss with jacked up trucks have a good 4 X 4? No, they are pieces of ****. They are so high they would probably fall over if you subjected it to too much lean. Humvees are designed to drive on the sides of hills without rolling over. I'm not sure what is the pitch it can be subjected to, but it is a good % I'm sure.

Comment

The H1's are awesome, scare the hell out of these other SUV pissies. Too bad it has the fuel efficiency of a, um, well, very low anyway.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Personally, I think the government is subsidizing the wrong kind of hummers...

Comment

amen, brother.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Big Three actually build a decent sedan again. Thanks to the SUV frenzy, they've pretty much conceded the sedan and roadster markets to the foreign companies. The new Mustang looks good, but that's about it.
                                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X