Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stefu's theory of nicknames: Everyone's alias can be shortened to 6 letters or less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GP
    So find out the real rules.
    It pretty much means that I've got almost complete leeway in how I do my research, so long as I've got something to show for it at the end of the day (or at the end of the quarter, or year, or whatever). The prof doesn't like to micromanage, so he gives everybody quite a bit of leeway, and in my case he's giving me even more than usual. By way of example, three weeks ago he told me "Think about how you'd build an introspective software system, and get back to me in a coupla weeks," and he's left me alone since then.

BTW, is this the place you got your B.S.?
    Nah, I did the last two years of my B.S. at a rinky-dink liberal arts college. I couldn't have gotten an M.S. from that place if I'd wanted to.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger

It pretty much means that I've got almost complete leeway in how I do my research, so long as I've got something to show for it at the end of the day (or at the end of the quarter, or year, or whatever). The prof doesn't like to micromanage, so he gives everybody quite a bit of leeway, and in my case he's giving me even more than usual. By way of example, three weeks ago he told me "Think about how you'd build an introspective software system, and get back to me in a coupla weeks," and he's left me alone since then.
      That's the norm. You have to get it done on your own. By find out the real rules, i mean find out how much needs to be done. Find out if this guy is a stickler for specific results or if he just lets everybody go after a certain amount of time.

Comment

• Ah, gotcha. That'll be difficult to find out ahead of time, unfortunately, since he's made it pretty clear that he's not dealing with me in the same way that he's dealing with his other assistants, so he might be much more (or much less) of a stickler with me than usual. Still, I've got a year to see how the game's played before I have to make a decision on the doctorate.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger
          Ah, gotcha. That'll be difficult to find out ahead of time, unfortunately, since he's made it pretty clear that he's not dealing with me in the same way that he's dealing with his other assistants, so he might be much more (or much less) of a stickler with me than usual. Still, I've got a year to see how the game's played before I have to make a decision on the doctorate.
          Yeah...talk to the other students. That will be a good guide for you. Even if you think you're the golden boy.

Comment

Working...
          X