No announcement yet.

Under a Blood Red Sky: Photos of the Canberra firestorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the fire above our street Case was talking about. This shot was taken about an hour or so after the worst of it, probably at about 6pm. Notice more normal light conditions have returned but by this stage the power is out - this fire took out the power lines. I'm standing about 4 houses up the street from our house on the corner of Case's street.

We were lucky - the fire was heading straight for us - but then there was a wind change and it took off in another direction.
    Attached Files
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

This is Dominic with a little water bottle I gave him to make him feel better. It seemed to work - he went around spraying everything that was important to him with water, including us, his brother, his toys. Nice psych strat there from Dad until he sprayed the TV and it stopped working!!!
      Attached Files
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Cute kids...but not a pony among them.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Adorable AND funny AH
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This is Mobius on his kangaroo hunt in December. The area behind him is the area burning in the last 2 shots.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              Nice psych strat there from Dad until he sprayed the TV and it stopped working!!!
              Are you sure that didn't occur just when the power went out?
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Just remember, whatever else happens, save your hard drives!
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

This is a shot of the same location Mobius was standing after the fire went through. Its burnt like this for miles and miles. My house is on the treed knoll in the background.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's some crazy sh!t.

I'm glad the Horse's and Ponies are OK.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                      Just remember, whatever else happens, save your hard drives!
                      Interesting what is important at a time like this - at one point Mrs Horse said we should get documents together in case we had to flee. I said never mind about that - save the family photos! The photos the only thing aside from ourselves I wanted to save or cared a whit about.

This is as close as the fire got to us - the roundabout near the top of our street, about 200 yards/metres from our home. Fortunately the wind had changed so there was no force behind it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Some weekend

Kangoeroe hunt ?? Is that like a fox hunt??
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Dominic claimed today he saved us from the roundabout fire with his little spray bottle - who am I to argue with such a satisfied little fire fighter?
                          Attached Files

Comment

so cute
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

When the power went out, the traffic lights went out too. There were scores of accidents last night, smashed cars littering the road at major intersections as people went through helter skelter in the panic. The cars were just left on the median strip or the side of the road. This car was one of them still there this afternoon.

Remember people - if you are ever in such an emergency - the roads are very dangerous - some people just cracked up and went psycho behind the wheels of their cars, speeding through intersections with no lights.

About one quarter of Canberra is still without electricity today. We were really lucky to get our power back on overnight. Some won't get power back for days or weeks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                                Cheers to Mrs Horse! Sounds like a great woman.
                                Thanks - I got some great shots of the fire with her in them but I don't want to encourage any more "danger sex" speculation

Here a shot of fire trucks at an assembly area the day after the fire. There were dozens of volunteer firefighters here resting up but I didn't photograph them. It didn't seem like the right thing to do.

They were about as useful as tits on a bull when the fire was upon us, but we appreciate their efforts anyway...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X