Under a Blood Red Sky: Photos of the Canberra firestorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under a Blood Red Sky: Photos of the Canberra firestorm

Well boys, just been through one of the wildest 24 hours as a firestorm hit Canberra, see Case's thread for details. Up to 400 homes lost.

Here's a photo taken from the balcony of our house at about 4pm yesterday afternoon. We were in darkness from the smoke at that time with high winds blowing hot ashe on the house.
    Attached Files
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

how did that crap start anyways?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We get this kind of thing in BC some years, but usually not near big cities.

Water-bombing planes, helos, all hours of the day.

Check out the full moon, it'll be a Blood Red eye, gotta listen to some CCR.

I'd consider chainsawing some of the nearby trees, in a really hot fire they can sometimes explode like bombs and send burning pieces through the air.

If you're anywhere near.

Did they call up volunteers?
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Has it passed by, AH?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

For comparison, this what the view from the first picture looks like on a normal day.
          Attached Files
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

"I can't believe the news today... I can't close my eyes, and make it go away."

Comment

Here's the normal view up my street.
              Attached Files

Comment

And here is the view around 4.30pm as the fires raced around the ridgeline behind our house. The hot ashe was spotting fires well ahead of the main front.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ashe?
                  "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                  - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

it'd be cool looking if it wasnt so tragic
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Fiera
                      Ashe?
                      That's right ash - here it is hitting the windscreen of my car. It was falling like rain - but it sizzled when it hit the ground. There were burning and smoldering leaves fluttering down on our house.

I was going out in the car to get some emergency supplies - er - it seemed like a good idea at the time....
                      Attached Files

Comment

I trust things are better now?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That sucks A.H.. Was it any of your neighbors who lost their houses?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Double post - more photos later
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 19, 2003, 03:57.

Comment

Yeah things are better today, these are the worst shots from the crisis period, which was about 3 - 6pm yesterday. It was absolutely surreal. There's still a high thread subject to what the wind is doing.

This is a shot of the back garden. It was like night in the middle of the day. The camera makes it slightly darker than it was but not by much. It was very hot too, well over 35 (100f) - but it didn't seem hot to me because of the adrenalin I suspect - I was really "up", excited, it was like being on speed. I had to keep moving, doing stuff, couldn't sit still. I freaked Mrs Horse out with my upbeat mood
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 19, 2003, 06:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X