Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscar nominations are out.

Spriited Away is up for Best Animated Feature Film.

The competition is:

Ice Age
    Lilo & Stitch
    Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
    Treasure Planet

Well, not very stiff competition. I think Spirit is the only one that has a chance of beating it, and then only if Spirited Away is too weird for the judges.

Wraith
    "Lets Gekiga in!"
    -- Gekiganger Team ("Nadesico")

Comment

Hmm, didn't see any of those. Were any worth watching? Ice Age looked like it could be funny...

BTW, what's the deal with this pantsless-Alexander-the-Great show they've got on Adult Swim? I won't get a chance to see it til this weekend, but I'm kinda doubtful as to whether it's even worth taping.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I watched both Hellsing and RahXephon in the last seven days, and I'm still in mode.

Next up is Cowboy Bepop and Noir...I think I'm in heaven...
        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
        - Lone Star

Comment

Out of the films nominated for best animated picture, lilo & stitch and spirited away are the only two worth watching.
          That said, I've started my neon genesis evangelion class and I really like it.
          We watched episodes 1-4 on sunday and we're going to meet for lunch sometime to discuss them.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Also, if you check out apple.com/trailers there seems to be a new trailer up for a computer animated film "robota"...
            Is this from Japan I wonder??? most things about robots are…
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

--"Hmm, didn't see any of those. Were any worth watching?"

Couldn't say for sure. None of them looked interesting enough for me to watch in the theater. Maybe when they hit cable...

I still can't figure out why Treasure Planet is even on the list.

--"BTW, what's the deal with this pantsless-Alexander-the-Great show they've got on Adult Swim?"

I haven't got a clue. What's the title of this one?

--"I watched both Hellsing and RahXephon in the last seven days, and I'm still in mode."

I never did get into Hellsing. It looked good, but the story (what there was of it) didn't catch my attention. RahXephon isn't bad, but it's not one of my favorite titles. It's a good example of the post-Evangelion mecha genre, but I've never been able to get into those.

--"Next up is Cowboy Bepop and Noir"

Noir is kind of like Hellsing. Good atmosphere and high production values, but I never really got into the story. The pacing is all over the place (the first couple and last couple episodes are well paced, the rest pretty much could have been skipped), and the characters are pretty thin. Combat sequences are fairly pathetic, which isn't good for a show about assassins. The music is great, though. I bought the soundtrack after seeing a couple episodes. Hope you like the stereophonic watch theme, you'll hear it often.
              Cowboy Bebop is one of what I consider A list titles. It's pretty much an extended character study with extremely high production values. Unfortunately it spawned a lot of not-as-good shows that couldn't get the non-linear method of storytelling down (like Hellsing and Noir).

--"That said, I've started my neon genesis evangelion class and I really like it."

You'll have to let us know about it ^_^

--"Is this from Japan I wonder??? most things about robots are…"

Not familiar with it, but I'll take a look later. Anime influence seems to be spreading, though. Like Molly Star Racer, which has apparently been picked up for production in France.

And speaking of Japanese robots...

Wraith
              "When angels are kicked out of heaven they become demons."
              -- Vicious ("Cowboy Bebop")

Comment

I haven't got a clue. What's the title of this one?
                "Reign: The Conqueror" or something to do with Reign and conquering. It's by the same guy who made "Aeon Flux," which goes some way to explaining everybody's state of pantslessness. They were advertising it last week, and aired the first show yesterday (they ran out of episodes for InuYasha).
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                X