No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want more grand anime movies on the scale of Metropolis and Spirited Away to come out!
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

--"The best series anime seems to introduce its characters well"

Which is one of the reasons I haven't seen all of X TV yet. I do keep hearing good things about it, and the Anime Net recommender put in the recommendation list for me, so I'll get around to it, but the first couple episodes were more scattered than I like.

--"I want more grand anime movies on the scale of Metropolis and Spirited Away to come out!"

Well, Jin-Roh, Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia, and End of Evangelion did come out last year. The first certainly counts, the other two depend on your taste.
      I don't know of much in the way of movies coming out this year, yet. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door has been delayed until April. Other than that, US Manga might do a theatrical release of Read or Die (by editing three OVA epidoses into a movie). I can't think off-hand of anything else, unless Disney decides to do a theatrical release for Kiki's or Castle in the Sky.

Wraith
      "Why can't this thing just materialize me a cup of coffee?"
      -- Mihoshi Kuramitsu ("Tenchi Muyo")

Comment

Something of a thread bump, but I just saw Ping Pong Club the other day and I thought it was hilarious. Unfortunately the store only has two episodes.

Has anybody seen others? How many are there in total?

I have seen the light and now my mission is to bring as many souls to the beauty of PPC as possible.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I'd have been bumping (or starting a new thread) in a couple days anyway. UshiCon starts up today, and I'll be leaving for it in a while (registration isn't open yet). I'll post any interesting news I find out about.

--"Has anybody seen others? How many are there in total?"

There's 26 episodes. I don't konw how many have been released. Nor do I care. The descriptions of the show make it sould like something I wouldn't like at all.

If you like Ping Pong Club, you might want to see if you can find any Super Radical Gag Family. They seem to be about a match for each other.

Wraith
          "It had three holes and I really wanted one."
          -- Keitaro ("Love Hina")

Comment

"Well, Jin-Roh, Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia, and End of Evangelion did come out last year. The first certainly counts, the other two depend on your taste."
            yeah, Jin-roh is definitely on my MUST SEE eventually list. It really looks great, from my perspective.
            My college is holding a 'small' class called "neon genesis evangelion anime as good film" - should I take it?
            Drake Tungsten
            Albert Speer

Comment

--"yeah, Jin-roh is definitely on my MUST SEE eventually list."

Eventually? Heh. Better than never, I guess. This is actually one of the titles you may be able to find at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

--"My college is holding a 'small' class called "neon genesis evangelion anime as good film" - should I take it?"

That depends. First, what kind of shows do you like? Metropolis and Spirited Away, I'm guessing, but beyond that?
              Second, it depends on the class. Does it cover the whole series, or is it just about the movie? From the description, does it sound like it's going to focus on the religious symbolism? If so, it may not be worth it (the religious stuff is largely gloss to the real symbolism).
              Oh, and this bit is very important. Will they be covering the sub or the dub? If it's the dub, save yourself a large amount of pain and don't bother. Especially if it's primarily about the movie (there were a couple script changes that manage to screw up one of the most important plot points).

If you do take the class, keep in mind that there is some footage that is only available on the Japanese home video releases. Nothing staggering, but there are a couple scenes that will make certain bits of the movie clearer.

Wraith
              "Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
              -- Ayanami Rei ("Neon Genesis Evangelion")

Comment

My newest favorite anime is Inuyasha. I know a few otaku who don't like it much, but that's their problem.

Comment

I'm getting Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu off of BitTorrent, and so far it seems to be an odd but very good series. Unfortunately, the site I get all my torrents from seems to be down at the moment.

Comment

Needs an animated .gif:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wraith: the 'instructor' wrote the capsule and basically he said that we will be analyzing and discussing ourselves. I get the impression that although he (a student like myself) may have views on the series, but that he is mainly just interested in talking about it.
                      Also, I know for a fact that he's a hard-core anime freak, so I sincerely doubt it will have bad-dubbing.
                      Drake Tungsten
                      Albert Speer

Comment

--"My newest favorite anime is Inuyasha."

Inu Yasha is okay, but nothing special. Definitely not Rumiko Takahashi's best work. Still, it does beat Pokemon, although it drags on longer than it should (not as badly as Dragonball Z, but you do tend to get the feeling things are going in circles far too often).
                        Also keep in mind there's over 100 episodes out in Japan. Viz has only licensed about half of them so far. In any case, it's around the 30s and 40s that things get obviously dragging on.

--"I'm getting Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu off of BitTorrent, and so far it seems to be an odd but very good series."

Same team as Excel Saga. It's basically Excel Saga with even less plot but slightly more crack. Guu's ability to mess with people's reality is quite fun.
                        There's an OVA after the TV series, too. Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe. One of the best closing videos I've ever seen.

--"Also, I know for a fact that he's a hard-core anime freak, so I sincerely doubt it will have bad-dubbing."

Heh. It certainly could be worth it. If you know the instructor you've got a better basis to judge from. Not sure how that'd fit into the cirriculum, but if you've got the open credits for it...

Wraith
                        "If Guu's having fun everything's all right."
                        -- Guu ("Jungle wa Itsumo, Hale Nochi Guu")

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                          Also keep in mind there's over 100 episodes out in Japan.
                          You've gotta be kidding! Does it turn into just another Monster-of-the-Week show a la Power Rangers or something? Or is it more along the lines of "Oh no, they have stolen the dragonballs! Again!"
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                            Needs an animated .gif:
                            whoa I've seen that before. I have a friends whos part of this fansub group and he pumps out truckloads of burnt anime cds. His philosophy is "if it is animated and made in asia, its anime". I've seen my share of some horrible or less known animes because of him. I think this falls under the less known category?

I dont watch anime these days, but if anyone can hook me up with translated mangas~ especially berserk... that thing is getting more and more interesting!
                            :-p

Comment

I've been watching Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 on the Action Channel on weekends. Its just now getting pretty dramatic. We're somewhere around episodes 15-18, I think.

Comment

That's the other thing, Wraith, it's not a credits course. It's part of ex-co "experimental college". Courses that are run by students that meet a few hours every week.
                                Other examples of ex-co courses are Gore & exploitation films of the 60s and 70s, the mythology of the x-files, and scottish highland dancing.
                                Drake Tungsten
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X