Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound problems on my computer

Hey all,

A couple of days ago, my brother used my computer to watch some skateboarding movies. He told me that the font was messed up. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but....

last night, I went on. The screen was at 600*480, 256 colors resolution. (I'm using an ATI RADEON 9000, which I installed a few weeks, about 3, ago). I finally reinstalled the video drivers and direct x.

Now, however, I'm getting an error. The first one states that directdraw.dll is nt working. WHy i that?

2) My sound card isn't working, and I don't even get the option to add it as new hardware, unles I'm missing something obvious.

Alright, what the devil is kernel32.dll? It's in my windows systems file, but it keeps crashing. What gives?

Comment

have you checked for a virus? otherwise your HD or registry may be corrupted

Comment

Crap. HOw does it become corrupted?

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if there was a device failure with my sound card. Does that require buying an ew one, or is it just a prolem caused by my radeon?

Comment

Have you reinstalled windows since you installed the new graphics card?
          A lot of your problems could stem from not doing so.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Faeelin
            Crap. HOw does it become corrupted?

QUOTE]

nice attitude fella, i was just trying to help moron,the data on HD's gets corrupted ALOT and so does the registry.

here's hoping your 'puter is well and truly screwed

...jeez, some people...

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Have you reinstalled windows since you installed the new graphics card?
              A lot of your problems could stem from not doing so.
              Then why did the problems only crop up now?

It's possible, though. If I do this, what happens to what I have installed?

Comment

un-install your video card, then re-install it....
                Re-install directX...

tell me if it works or not...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, everything on that h/d is gone. A good idea would be to back-up whatever you need (files you have made, mp3s, whatever you can't reinstall, etc) and then reinstall windows. Its always a good idea to reinstall every so often, but you will have to decide if it is worth it to do so.

Did the sound work at all after you installed the new graphics card?
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    un-install your video card, then re-install it....
                    Re-install directX...

tell me if it works or not...
                    I uninstalled the video gcard, reinstalled it, then uninstalled dirdect x, and reinstlaled it, as the first thing I did. Still get the .dll errors.

It did, skansky, for a few weeks. But after reinstalling the card's software after the resolution altering I described earlier, the speaker symbol is gone, and there is now no sound.

Comment

Well, it's probably not a hardware problem then.
                      What OS are you using?

I would recommend you seriously considering a reinstall.

Comment

Well, back up your important stuff, then reformat your HD's and reintall winblows...
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm using windows me.

So everyone thinks I should reinstall? Bloody hell. Now I have to figure out what to back up to.

Comment

yup... it sucks when that happens... find a pirated version of XP, it's much better.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              yup... it sucks when that happens... find a pirated version of XP, it's much better.
                              Actually, I'll just use my mom's.(Pays to have a parent who works at a university) But that will fix the problems?
                              Last edited by Faeelin; January 18, 2003, 20:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X