Please help with functional resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with functional resume

Have anyone of you applied jobs successfully with functional resumes?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

What do you mean by "functional resume?"
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Sorry. It is sometimes known as "skill based" resume. Here's a link with more details.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Ah yes. We hate those.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I don't like them Urban.

What you can do is put a summary list of skills at the very top of your resume and then follow it with a chonological listing of your work experience.

That way you get the best of both worlds and they can see your "hot" skills before anything else.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Ted,

Do you have any examples of that?

Comment

*taps his fingers politely. Doesn't bring up that he works for an executive recruiter and deals with resumes all day every day*
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Do the chronological one (seriously). Get some advice from Bore-us on how to overcome your record of being fired every 2 months (joking).

It is obviously a dodge to do the non-chrono one. Much better to spend some extra time with the chorno one. Maybe finnesse it to make it more appealing. Oh...and write a decent cover letter. Also, realize that the resume isn't that huge of a deal once you get the interview. (I just got one today...)

Comment

Hey Boris, what kind of executive recruiting stuff do you do?

*GP tries to remember how bad he has pissed off Boris*

Comment

*Boris tries to remember an instant when he's ever been pissed off by GP*
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

what are you looking at doing GP?

Jon Mliler
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Goes something like this:

Urban Ranger
                        555 West Street

Objective
                        ------------

Seeking a Sr. Level Java Development position with IBM [or whatever the job happens to be at that time]

Skills
                        ------
                        Java J2EE (certified), JSP, Sun Solaris, Red Hat, Jakarta Tomcat, LAN/WAN, Oracle 9i, Windows 2000, Cisco Routers, ssh, ftp [make this line as long as you need to, just list all your best stuff, and put up to 3 skills that were listed in the job description in bold ]

Experience
                        --------------

Sun Microsystems, San Jose, CA 1998-current
                        Network Adminstrator
                        Responsible for 15 servers running QA server for development. [this should be about 3 lines]
                        *Coded bug fixes
                        *Setup OS, application servers, and networking
                        *Employee of the quarter 2000, 2001[list minimum of 3 bullet points but no more than 5 per job]

Hewlitt-Packard, San Ramon, CA 1995-1998
                        Systems Adminstrator
                        Repsonsible for Tivoli Backup systems, HP UNIX, and end user support.
                        *Built server farm of 50 servers from ground up
                        *Responsible for troubleshooting network outages

[Put as many jobs as far back as 10 years if they are relevent]

Education
                        ------------
                        BS Computer Science, UC Berkeley 1991, 3.7/4.0 GPA
                        Last edited by Ted Striker; January 17, 2003, 02:04.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Very helpful doggie.

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          Goes something like this:

Urban Ranger
                          555 West Street

Objective
                          ------------

Seeking a Sr. Level Java Development position with IBM [or whatever the job happens to be at that time]

Skills
                          ------
                          Java J2EE (certified), JSP, Sun Solaris, Red Hat, Jakarta Tomcat, LAN/WAN, Oracle 9i, Windows 2000, Cisco Routers, ssh, ftp [make this line as long as you need to, just list all your best stuff, and put up to 3 skills that were listed in the job description in bold ]

Experience
                          --------------

Sun Microsystems, San Jose, CA 1998-current
                          Network Adminstrator
                          Responsible for 15 servers running QA server for development.
                          *Coded bug fixes
                          *Setup OS, application servers, and networking
                          *Employee of the quarter 2000, 2001

Hewlitt-Packard, San Ramon, CA 1995-1998
                          Systems Adminstrator
                          Repsonsible for Tivoli Backup systems, HP UNIX, and end user support.
                          *Built server farm of 50 servers from ground up
                          *Responsible for troubleshooting network outages

[Put as many jobs as far back as 10 years if they are relevent]

Education
                          ------------
                          BS Computer Science, UC Berkeley 1991, 3.7/4.0 GPA

Comment

Thanks Navy.

Urban,

On those job descriptions, I would make them longer than that, but not too long. (3 lines max) If you have Libertarian length descriptions, nobody will read your resume. Then for your bullet points that go under the job descriptions, list at least 3 but no more than 5.

I've found this format to be MONEY (literally).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              what are you looking at doing GP?

Jon Mliler
                              2 different positions at a pharma company.

One is in strategic purchasing. Not a function I'm crazy about and job is a little lower level than what I'm probably set for. I haven't done a lot of this type of stuff specifically, but I've used most of the frameworks and tools in parralel assignments. Talked to a fellow there and he said it would not be tought to come up to speed real fast.

Other one is a technology transfer position where they want someone who has Ph.D. chem experience as well as MBA type skills. I'm actually a decent match for that. And some of my consulting engineering for biotechs would help also. Although I'm a little off in terms of the science. (i.e my Ph.D. isn't in pharma process engineering.) Still, I've got a decent shot since it sounds like I nail the business and manager aspects.

Had a pre-interview yesterday. Followed it up with a tight letter today. And "her assistant" is going to arrange a flight up for me to talk with a couple SVPs.

Nothing perfect. But definitely stuff I can do and worth my time to talk to them about.

---------------------

If you wanted a quicker answer it is "continuing to sell out for business cash instead of using my science degree to actually help people/discover things for society."

Comment

Working...
                              X