Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your country "Internation" or "National" minded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your country "Internation" or "National" minded?

I hve been in Australia for a summer scholarship for 9 weeks now, and I have noticed something different to living back in New Zealand that puzzles me.

A certain introversion in news and opinions.

Oddly, I noticed this while listening to the Sports Radio here, trying to find out what the cricket score was in the latest one day match between New Zealand and India back home. I certainly wasn't expecting live coverage, but when we got to the sports news, all that was mentioned was a late addition to the Oz cricket team (not playing until the next day) and the Australian Open (the tennis). This deeply surprised me, as at home the news will cover national and international sporting events in at least SOME detail.

Another small detail, but it is in the small details one finds the truth: at home, when referring to Oz, we will say "across the ditch", meaning across the Tasman sea that separates NZ and Oz. Here, there seems to be no equivalent expression, and the impression I get from Australians here is that New Zealand is at about the same level in their minds as it is to Americans or Russians, except that a few more Australaians actually know where New Zealand is.

Granted NZ is a small country of under 4 million people, but it is directly next to Australia, and the two countries share much in heritage and there is much cooperation between both nations in many areas. I am most surprised that the Oz financial news on TV doesn't seem to even mention comparison with the Kiwi dollar!

This is not isolated to NZ either. The Australian newspapers I have seen have a small internationl section, dealing almost exclusively with the war on terrorism and Middle East problems. You would think nothing else happens in the world outside of Australia. The Oz news on TV too shows little beyond these shores.

All of this adds up to what I believe to be a characteristic of certain countries - they are "national" countries, concerned with domestic matters, and foreign matters are considered only when they will cause considerable national ructions. NZ, OTOH, is an "international country", reporting on much that happens overseas, even if it doesn't concern its citizens directly, such as, say, the NBA final or a riot in Nigeria.

Tell me - in your own experience is this really a characteristic of different countries' media and public conscience or is NZ the exception in that it is highly internationally concerned due to our heavy reliance on other countries' economies, and that every other country is as inward-thinking as Australia?
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Of the two countries I live in, Sweden is very International minded and the UK is probably the most introvert place I've ever been to, especially when it comes to culture. There seems to be absolutely no connection with the mainland at all.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Traditionally the UK ( I guess more so England) has been anti-Europe (or at least not overly pro-Europe), and I guess this could contribute there.

Is this sort of thing responsible for what an odd bunch Americans are? You get the incredibly friendly world-wise ones and then the absolute dyed-in-the-wool America-is-best fanatics.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

America is internationally minded Just not in a good way.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Too international here, but then again, we are the among founding fathers of europe
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

International, compared to the one place I've seen enough of to compare with.

US news, for example, you can really feel shifting gears when going from a US story to a foreign story...
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Canada's news must be international, if we focused on national news people might care enough about the ****ed up government to the point of changing their voting patterns...

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Canadians are, on average, happier with their lives and much happier with their national situation than the people of any other Western nation, Asher...

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ignorance is bliss.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Admit it: Canadians like the Welfare State. They like knowing their government is there for them. They like being taxed.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You should live in one of the real parts of the country, not that capitalist preserve we set up so generously. Come on: oil and cattle? You don't believe that that came about naturally, do you? Someone was having a bit of fun. "Let's see how much like Texas we can make it"...

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My relatives all live in Ontario and Quebec.

I've visited them way too many times to care.

It's awful living in either of those provinces. All ****ed up.

Comment

UK is too introverted. The press doesn't mention anything about Europe unless it affects Britain, and even then its usuallt shown in a negative light.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                            UK is too introverted. The press doesn't mention anything about Europe unless it affects Britain, and even then its usuallt shown in a negative light.

Funny that you should mention that. I was taking a look at the Times front page couple of days ago.

First news item was the Queen's knee.
                            Second was the pedophile scandal.

And just third on the bottom of the page UN inspections.

Of course it isn't different in other countries, it is just that Times go to all over Europe and if it keeps that up, noone's going to be buying it in a short while.

Comment

The Times main points today (in order):

Blix tells Iraq: "Co-operate or it's war"
                              New Algerian terror suspect held in Manchester
                              Maxine Carr faces new Soham charges
                              Train services cut in punctuality plan
                              Spain and Italy lose UK 'chocolate' war.

Its not as bad as the tabloids.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X