• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootlick?

Code:
    v. boot·licked, boot·lick·ing, boot·licks
    v. tr.

To behave toward in a servile or obsequious manner.

v. intr.

To behave in a servile or obsequious manner.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

How about Blandish?

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Comment

apple-polish, attract, blandish, bootlick, brownnose, captivate, charm, crawl, curry favor, fawn, flatter, grovel, insinuate oneself, kiss butt, kowtow, lick boots, seek favor, toady, truckle
        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
        - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
          Brownnose?

That's a verb.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Brownnose
          I considered that but the bathroom connection is too clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko
            apple-polish, attract, blandish, bootlick, brownnose, captivate, charm, crawl, curry favor, fawn, flatter, grovel, insinuate oneself, kiss butt, kowtow, lick boots, seek favor, toady, truckle
            1. Good list. I don't think I knew the meaning of blandish before now.

2. BTW, funny story about obsequious: As plebes at the Naval Academy, we had a little book called REEF POINTS that contained the plebe "knowledge" which we were responsible for. There was a section in the back with a glossoray of NAval Academy slang. And in it was the word, "smack" which means a kiss-ass. Well the definition they had was "Obsequious. And one who looks it up."

Comment

www.thesaurus.com cross-referenced with www.dictionary.com will find you just about anything.

Comment

I always look at that url and think, The Saurus? A Dinosaur website?

I also find that poetry.com is a pretty useful site.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

So did you look it up GP?
                  - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                    www.thesaurus.com cross-referenced with www.dictionary.com will find you just about anything.
                    Thanks. I wanted the discussion too...

Comment

So did you look it up GP?
                      :shamefaced:

Comment

Did you have the concept of "nakkisuoja" in the Navy BTW?
                        It's the fine art of instantly faking important and/or urgent activities in order to avoid unpleasant extra duties.
                        - Lone Star

Comment

It's the fine art of instantly faking important and/or urgent activities in order to avoid unpleasant extra duties.
                          We refered to it as "Skating."

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I forgot to mention, that was the higher form of the art. Some dumber folks with low cunning preferred physical methods, like stuffing yourself into an extra locker when someone came looking for idle people.

And oh yes, "nakkisuoja" translates as "wiener (the sausage) cover". I have no idea why "nakki" means an extra chore as well as a foodstuff.
                            - Lone Star

Comment

Yeah. although I don't know if there is a pithy term for it.

Comment

Sounds like a synonym for "moderating off topic".
                                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X