No announcement yet.

W. Europeans: A question about train travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not crowded, normally, nor is it small.

But I guess that depends on many factors (which train you got, what you're used to etc)

Comment

Frankfurt is great. There was an area called the plats de Frankenstein (or something like that). Just restaurants, bars, and clubs, no cars. I sat in a bar one day from about noon until closing watching Bundesleaguer football, drinking beer, and listening to very very loud music. You can (or could) buy a 'boot' of beer which is similar to a yard of ale (you've got to be careful of the last bit).
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
        Why not save all your money and spend it in Paris? Forget Frankfurt...
        I'd love to, but the Frankfurt leg of the trip is business, not pleasure.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Depends on the train journey. I travelled (all in second-class) from Aberystwyth to Manchester today.

Aber - Shrewsbury: great journey. I got a table and extra legroom since the train was quiet, so I could read a broadsheet paper and spread out in comfort.

Shrewsbury - Manchester: Just as good, were it not for the train breaking down in Crewe and me having to transfer to another train that didn't have tables and the extra legroom that goes with them.

Manchester - Salford Crescent: Horrendous. Busy, and at rush hour due to the break-down and that the train I was meant to catch for this journey was 14 mins late, then 16 mins, then 18, then 19, then 21 and finally cancelled.

Salford Crescent - home: Busy but just about managed to find a seat. Rickety old train though.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

BTW you're very lucky Rufus.
            France and Germany have the best rail and trains in Europe and probably the world.
            Be glad, you're not in the UK, they have amongst the worse

Comment

The Cambrian railway is the best I have travelled on. One of the most picturesque, and since there's only two trains using it, never has any delays.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                Aber - Shrewsbury: great journey. I got a table and extra legroom since the train was quiet, so I could read a broadsheet paper and spread out in comfort.
                Have they changed the format of the Daily Mail?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

that train looks like it was looted from germany in WW2.

Comment

Well if it's good enough for them.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

they have advanced from then

Comment

Actually, that isn't a typical train in mid-Wales. I got a wrong picture, but the scenery is just the same.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

the sky is wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X