W. Europeans: A question about train travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W. Europeans: A question about train travel

Please help; remember, I may be a clueless Yank, but I want to be a Eurocom :

I'm trying to book a train ticket on-line, one way from Paris to Frankfurt, and I have the choice of a first or second class ticket. But I can't find anything that tells me what the difference between the two classes is. So, the two part question is:

a) What's the difference?

and

b) On a 6-hour trip during which my nose will just be buried in a book anyway, is this difference worth the extra 30 Euros?

Thanks in advance.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

1st class is a bit more convenient, the seats are softer and the service a bit better. Also, the way to the restaurant wagon is usually shorter (if the train has one, that is). It is mostly used by older ladies and gentlemen. 6 hours ain't worth the difference of €30, if you ask me. 2nd class will bring you to Frankfurt too. In the same time, btw.

Comment

The difference is similar to that of an airline. I cannot speak for continental european trains but here in the UK first class train tickets are about 50% extra. For that you get a big seat with more leg room (i.e. some trains their is hostess service). So I guess its like upgrading a flight ticket from standard to business class etc.

Hope this helps.

Oh and 1st class compartments on UK trains are nornally full of toffs (err rich business men and fine chicks (girls)).

Comment

1st class is for high society, snobs, business people and the elderly... but quite comfortable.
        Sir Ralph's right, spend the 30 Euros on something else.

Comment

And you can't compare a 2nd class seat on a train with that one on a plain. As long as the train isn't packed, you'll have plenty of room.

Save the money to get a decent meal
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thanks all; second-class it is!
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I second that. I've never seen a 1st class on a train that's worth the extra money.
              “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

I always travel first class. But that's because I don't have to pay for it...
                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Go for the second class, especially since it is only 6 hours.

Saluti
                  "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                  The trick is the doing something else."
                  — Leonardo da Vinci
                  "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                  "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

I think the 2nd class seats and all the rest about the cars are to good nowadays. As I'm a cheap bastard I would like to have the 3rd class wagons back in service again! Damn it, I want to share my space with chickens and goats like they do in the poor parts of the world as long as I can save anything.

Comment

Take the 2nd class you pumpered baby

(It just hit me, I've nener taken the 1st class on trains )

Comment

I've ridden on some trains where 2nd class can be very crowded while 1st class is empty. In that case 1st class is worth a little extra.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

SpencerH hits the nail on the head.
                          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Why not save all your money and spend it in Paris? Forget Frankfurt...
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

As an American who has ridden on both first and second class seats in European trains, I must say to get the first class seats. I don't know what kind of squalid environment you Europeans are used to to be able tolerate such conditions, but I'll never ride second class again. :vom:
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X