No announcement yet.

Computer Aided Design (CAD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many hundrends of thousands of Euros does this program cost?
    It is modular. The base price is a huge thing maybe 10 000 euros, and then you pu add-ons, products which will add a few thousand euros each. IF a customer wanted ALL the products (but they can't all be used by the same user so it would be quite silly), then it might very well cost them a hundred thousand. I have no idea. I think the prices are a bit higher than ProE, but the product is better (am I biased?)
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I've used AutoCAD12 and a little bit of Microstation Integraph in the early 90's. I just used them as drafting programs. Basically allows drawing straight lines. There are some advantages over hand drafting. Lettering, revisions much easier. I didn't really use any fancy features (not sure if they are in there), like 2d -> 3D or what-have you. It is kind of a cool tool though.

Comment

Try to get you hands on version 14, this is when AutoCadd really starts to shine as it goes into a more windows based environment, so you don't need a tablet to use it.
        What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Originally posted by November Adam
          Try to get you hands on version 14, this is when AutoCadd really starts to shine as it goes into a more windows based environment, so you don't need a tablet to use it.
          I didn't really use the tablet. It already had drop downs and shortcut keys. I did hear from drafters that it was faster with the tablet if you used it alot. I would be worried about losing the tablet to be honest...like losing the little keyboard template for Wordperfect.

Comment

I use AutoCad 2000 for architectural work, although i never do design work on the computer, i just transcribe whatever i came up with by hand for working drawings.
            I'll probably move over to 2002 soon, although i haven't checked which improvements they may have made.

Learned Design Cad years and years ago, and used Architrion briefly. I couldn't tell you which program is better or not. I use AutoCad because everyone else I interact with uses it.
            Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Originally posted by November Adam
              nope, I was taught on AutoCadd at school, and every office I've worked in uses AutoCadd. I'll be the first to admit it is difficult to make the initial switch to another program if you have a fair bit of experience with one.

Who make DataCad? In which ways is it superior?
              I think Cadkey makes it, but it has its own website. It is superior because it is designed specifically for architectural and construction work, unlike AutoCAD, which is designed to be a generic CAD program. A lot of work have been automated, for example, there are macros to draw windows and stairs. You can put "voids" in walls. You can put in all the 3D details the first time around to have the program do the renderings later.

There's a feature chart on the website.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
              X