Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Aided Design (CAD)

Do you work with those programs?

I have just installed ArchiCAD for my brother (he needs it for his studies) and this program is impresive... there is huge amount of stuff it can do for you.

I also have some old version of AutoCAD, but it is much more complex so I didnt figure out what it can do.

but still, CAD programs are excellent!

When you draw a house in 2d and he renders it in 3d. Awsome

I have also seen on my university, they use CATIA on higher years, but I have no expirience with it.

My question is, do you work with CAD programs (doesn't matter in which area), what are your expiriences with them, which are the best .. etc

Oh, and are there any free ones I could download and try out? (though I dont need them professionaly, I would like to play with it some)

These programs cost a fortune btw

they use CATIA on higher years, but I have no expirience with it.
    I earn a living programming CATIA .
    Indeed, it is very expensive...
    The programs are very varied. Those you would use are probably mostly 2D with 3D possibilites, because otherwise it starts costing a lot.
    There is a good CAD e_zine, called upfrontezine, you can look for it (I only have a link at work, not here, so I can't give the url). You can probably find out a lot about CAD programs there, mostly 2D and architecture based.

I can't really recommend programs, though, because I am professionnally biased.
    Autocad, Solidworks, are good software, though.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

CADs not a program, you get programs that are involved in CAD, i use them all the time at school, make complez models without touching a chizzle! So sweet!
      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

I use DataCAD on occasion which is very good for architectural drawings.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have both SolidWorks 2000 and AutoCAD 2000 here at home, but I have more experience with SolidWorks.

I think SW2000 is better, because of its great "ease" (it's still not extremely easy, but for 3D-modeling it's easier than AutoCAD) and functionality (3D-rendering, animations, universal export format).

Comment

LdiCesare, thanks I ll look up that e-zine.

Zopperoni, what do you use SolidWorks for? Is it engeneering sotware or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              Zopperoni, what do you use SolidWorks for? Is it engeneering sotware or something else?
              It's technically oriented yes, but I use it for all sorts of things, also for designing bottles, simple abstract stuff et cetera.

Here's the official SW-site: http://www.solidworks.com/

Comment

My wife does CAD for Liz Claiborne. She uses Eu4ria (euphoria?). If you have any questions I will ask her for you.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Even more impressive are the combo programs that are used for design, since they usually include:
                  - an object design tool (CAD)
                  - a manufacturing process planning tool (CAM/CAPP)
                  - a static/dynamic/thermal/acoustic simulation tool (FEM)
                  - optimisation tools
                  - many other stuff

See I-Deas and ProEngineer f.e.

The amazing thing about them is the level of integration of so many complicated stuff and the ease and speed with which an engineer can work with them. And of course for their steep learning curve.

Btw, their libraries are enormous. Libraries are everything in design tools.
                  "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                  George Orwell

Comment

Caligastia, thanks I m just generally browsing

Yeah I guess finite element analysis and other stuff are extremely valuable.

Too bad these programs have a steep learning curve, I thought of getting one and playing with it, but I dont have the patience to learn how it works for 6 months prior. I want something quick and easy

Me and a friend got interested in silencing our PC's for example. Cooling is the problem.. quite interesting problem but computational flow dynamics tools are quite expensive

Comment

Originally posted by axi
                      Even more impressive are the combo programs that are used for design, since they usually include:
                      - an object design tool (CAD)
                      - a manufacturing process planning tool (CAM/CAPP)
                      - a static/dynamic/thermal/acoustic simulation tool (FEM)
                      - optimisation tools
                      - many other stuff

See I-Deas and ProEngineer f.e.

The amazing thing about them is the level of integration of so many complicated stuff and the ease and speed with which an engineer can work with them. And of course for their steep learning curve.

Btw, their libraries are enormous. Libraries are everything in design tools.
                      I-Deas and Pro-E!
                      CATIA is also such a suite. The biggest portfolio of applications, actually. Even more if you count not only those made by Dassault Systemes but also those made by partners. I cannot help it, but you have products inside the CAD suite like:
                      product and assembly design, electrical design (wire routing, electrical harness design...), manufacturing tools (including numeric command), drawing (both generated from 3D and interactive), solid modelling, shape modelling, sheetmetal design (with variants again), mold design, rule-based and optimization programs...
                      Then you can add a layer of product management on top (revisions of products, management of rights to change products, versionning, configuration management...).

And you end up having HUGE programs. I dare not count the number of lines of code we have in CATIA.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

How many hundrends of thousands of Euros does this program cost?
                        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                        George Orwell

Comment

I do architectural drafting with Autocad. Have used it from version 12-2002. It is an excellent program, that only gets better.
                          What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

NA,

Have you used DataCAD? It is far superior to AutoCAD when it comes to architectural drawings.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

nope, I was taught on AutoCadd at school, and every office I've worked in uses AutoCadd. I'll be the first to admit it is difficult to make the initial switch to another program if you have a fair bit of experience with one.

Who make DataCad? In which ways is it superior?
                              What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Working...
                              X