Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Why Don't US Leaders Cut PAYROLL Taxes?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Why Don't US Leaders Cut PAYROLL Taxes?!

I mean, wouldn't shaving a bit off the payroll taxes help people more than getting rid of the taxes on dividends for stockholders? C'mon! If I were to save $25 to $50 per check twice a month 12 months a year on payroll taxes, I'd have an extra $600 to $1200 to play around with! OTOH, I have only an option for 100 shares of my company's stock, so who the hell gives a damn about no taxes on dividend payments?

Give me a payroll tax cut, you damn politicians! Not SS or Medicare, straight FIT!!!

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

What gives you the idea that the tax cut is for your common folk?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It wouldn't benefit the truly rich enough...

(there is little difference between "trickle down" and p*ssed on", just ask any fire hydrant)
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Gatekeeper, you're going to get it.

Remember what happened with the last tax cut. Republicans wanted to cut taxes for the rich. The Democrats wanted to cut taxes for the middle class. The Republicans subsumed the Democratic cuts into the own plan and took credit for everything.

Now that the Dems are proposing a payroll tax, the Republicans will again include that proposal into their own. Then the Dems either have to vote for the tax cuts for which the Republicans will take full credit, or the Dems will have to vote against everything, including their own proposed tax cuts, and look like the biggest scrooges of all time.

Comment

You're never going to see a payroll tax cut. The Dems are proposing a one-time "refund". The payroll tax is the one very few Americans pay attention to because it comes out automatically, before they see the full amount of their paycheck. And BTW Zkribbler, if the Democrats take $30000 from me and give me back $1000, explain how I'll get rich?
          Pax Superiore Vi Tellarum
          Equal Opportunity Killer: We will kill regardless of race, creed, color,
          gender, sexual preference,or age

Comment

Well if they take $30,000 from you per year, you are prolly already rich.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Find out where the bastards put my Rolls Royce then Lawrence and I'll agree with you assessment.

Comment

I'd really rather have a payroll tax cut than any sort of "trickle-down" cut or a refund of a few hundred dollars. I would save approximately $26 a year under the former and the latter did give me a $300 check the last time ... but that's all much less than what I'd get with a cut in payroll taxes.

ZScribbler ... heh, gee, that sounds familiar. Brings back memories of 1992 and the Dems taking over a traditionally GOP platform — it's the economy, stupid!

Furthermore, why the hell do folks that make more than $70,000 a year or so not have to pay SS taxes on income over that amount? Good God! Some of the budget and economic issues the United States faces could be solved with common sense solutions like payroll tax cuts and making the "bigshots" pay SS on their *full* incomes, rather than only a part of it.

Viva la revolution!

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

The people who make more than $70k a year are ALREADY subsidizing the lazy SOBs who aren't paying fully into SS Gatekeeper

Comment

cia:

Well, yeah, I suppose the guy making $100,000 a year would be contributing more to SS than some poor SOB making, oh, $6.25 an hour/$15,000 a year.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Anyways Gatekeeper, I'm just paying for my dad's retirement now. I'm not worried about it. I figure I'll get the Eskimo retirement package.

Comment

Originally posted by cia
                        I figure I'll get the Eskimo retirement package.
                        A cold day in He11?
                        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Originally posted by cia
                          The people who make more than $70k a year are ALREADY subsidizing the lazy SOBs who aren't paying fully into SS Gatekeeper
                          I'm in that category, and I do not object to aditional taxes.

Look you can go for the short term benefits and live in a world of an increasingly dysfunctional society, ot you can give up a little more now for a better society in a decade.

I know which I would prefer.

Comment

Close.

A parka, a day's supply of firewood, and a long trip into the tundra.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The Eskimo retirement:
                              Son: Dad, we found the perfect place for you out in the country!
                              Dad: Great! Let's go!
                              ...Long car ride into snow country...
                              Dad, the road ends here but if you just keep heading north I know you'll find the retirement home.

Comment

Working...
                              X