Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    Cars have oil filters Dissident Although the condition of them still means it has to be replaced, like on any engine.
    You need a duplex filter, that you can shift so that you can periodically clean out one side. It's part of the 3M program.
    Last edited by TCO; January 12, 2003, 14:19.

Comment

ahh 3M!! I'll pretend I din't hear that

yes filters become clogged. I can't believe how fast my air filter becomes dirty.

Also the recommended 3000 mi. is for city driving. If you primarily do highway driving this is not necessary.

It also depends on how many miles you want to get out of your engine. If you are going for well over 300,000 miles I suggest oil changes every 3000 mi. If you plan on trading your car in a few years don't bother.

Comment

I remember my skipper who said the first day of the war, he was going to put the RPM in the TDU. Followed closely therafter by the QA manual. You wouldn't know what the TDU and QA manual are, would you, skimmer?

Comment

we don't have QA on surface ships? I beg to differ. Remember it was on a surface ship some dumbass used brass fasteners on a main steam valve. Many were killed on the steam rupture. This is what really started QA- at least for surface ships.

TDU sounds familiar. I did train at Chalreston naval prototype. The old 626 submarine. And of course I heard plenty of stories from the sub guys instructed there. But since I left there I never associated with those guys. It is like 2 different worlds once you get to the fleet.

Comment

QA for subs started with the Thresher. Trash Disposal Unit. It's like a little torpedo tube for trash.

Comment

The trash disposal caused a major accident? Man, it is always like that when you are dealing with technology for some reason. Something that is deemed as being a minor thing always ends up being the thing that causing the major problems.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Actually the TDU ball valve is one of the worst spots for leakage and can hazard the ship. But the Thresher was lost from flooding in the engine room.

Comment

Well oil filters and oil is hardly expensive to replace anyway, so there is no reason not to change the oil on a regular basis with a slight bit of knowledge...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yes, but the american automobile industry seems to be ripping-off consumers by recommending that engine-oil is changed far more frequently than is necessary

Either that, or american engines are not very well-built
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
                      Either that, or american engines are not very well-built
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Does climate have to do with how often you change your oil?

Perhaps in general they recommend you change it more often in the US to cover states like Arizona and New Mexico...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's not the American industry. It's the oil change places. You can usuallt go 6000 miles and lots of owner's manuals say that now.

Comment

especially with new cars. And they have raised their tune up frequencies and such. Newer engines are better built.

Comment

Working...
                            X