Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil

What is the American fascination for changing engine oil in their vehicles?

Cars sold in Europe have recommnded service intervals of 20,000 miles but in the US it can be less than 5,000

Why?
    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Which cars in particular have a 20,000 mile recommended oil change?

The Toyotas we have say to change every 7,500 miles, why would these Toyotas be 20,000 miles in Europe?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Which cars in particular have a 20,000 mile recommended oil change?

The Toyotas we have say to change every 7,500 miles, why would these Toyotas be 20,000 miles in Europe?
      PERHAPS Toyota marketing realize that Euro's don't like changing the oil that often, so increase the figure for that market?

..just a shot in the dark..

Comment

If you don't change Toyota engine oil every 7,500 miles you get engine sludge problems which can destroy the engine.

There's not a choice when you use aluminum engines.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Maybe that's what it is.

Maybe the Euros are behind the technology curve and don't use aluminum engines yet.

Comment

All cars in the UK have a service period of 10 000 miles or even less...mine is 8 000...and let's face it, if you can do the oil change yourself it is hardly an expensive or difficult operation, a new oil filter and oil cost next to nothing, so I change my oil more regularly than that.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Astra is now 20,000 and a lot of others are heading that way - I think it is a conspiracy in the US, everyone knows that a real man changes his oil at home every 60 days and waxes it every Sunday
              "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
                Astra is now 20,000 and a lot of others are heading that way - I think it is a conspiracy in the US, everyone knows that a real man changes his oil at home every 60 days and waxes it every Sunday
                What's the engine like in an "Astra"?

Is it a 40hp 0.2L engine?

Comment

What's the engine like in an "Astra"?

Is it a 40hp 0.2L engine?
                  ..you mean you hav n't heard of Astra lawnmowers?

Comment

No, prob about 2.0l 16v 140hp

Comment

Get the bus, tram, train or subway ya lazy tools of capitalism

Comment

Telecommute, you bastard

If everyone was antisocial and worked from home the world would be far better off environmentally.

Comment

Telecommute, you bastard

If everyone was antisocial and worked from home the world would be far better off environmentally.
                          Nah, cos of all the heating used. In offices with cubicles you can fit around 200 workers in a small room

Comment

Do you seriously turn off the heat when you leave the house?

If everyone stayed at home we wouldn't need to heat all those offices AND those homes!

Comment

Electricity then

I'm sure there are plenty of office jobs where a few hundred workers share one computer

Comment

Working...
                              X