No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll nominate "World War" by Harry Turtledove.

Also, if it counts as SciFi, "Decipher", by Stel Pavlou
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
      and China Mieville - Perdido Street Station
      Oh yes! I will second that one!

Comment

are we suppose to be putting on books we have already read?

or ones we have heard are good and would like to try?

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have read an awful lot of the suggestions here

why don't we try and keep it to books that all or most of the people in the group have not read (or have not read recently)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I second Diaspora. I have it out from the library at the moment...
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

jon miller,

To answer your question, I'm going to cross-post something I wrote for another message board and I'll try to edit out non-pertinent information...

Here in Knoxville, I (co)-moderate a couple of discussion groups - a film discussion group and a science fiction novel discussion group, and have about 4 years experience doing this, all told. So, I do have a couple of questions, points that I think must be considered:

1. Given the interests of time and in trying to get as large a group as possible, should we limit the number of pages per novel to, say, 500-600?

2. I would like that to nominate a book and to second it, you must have actually read the entire book. Trust me - doing books nobody has read is an easy way to get burned.

3. Cost and Availability. No books that have not made it to paperback. No books that are so obscure that they will require shipping and Google. Preferably books that can easily be found in libraries and used bookstores - actually, I would prefer no new releases (either paperback or hardback) at all, giving the books time to percolate down to the used book stores. Otoh, the book must still be available in a current edition - for example, if this was a book club that focused on social issues,Unsafe at Any Speed, while an influential book, could not be a selection because it is out of print, but The Jungle would be OK as it is in print.

4. Moderators. If you like a book so much that you want to lead the discussion, please remember that you will lead the discussion, not just participate. A few hours of research on the net, reading other peoples thoughts on the book, will definitely increase the number of topics you can use to draw people into the subject.

Anyway, I think if we keep the above things in mind when we nominate books we'll have a nice group here with plenty of participants. The Handmaids Tale is, I consider, one of the more perfect books you can use for a book club - it's easily available in used and new editions, short but thematically deep (easy for mods!), popular (good turnout book), and can fit in a broad list of categories (sf, womens lit, popular fiction, etc).

So, in my opinion we shouldn't nominate books we haven't read. But, that's just my opinion: as a new discussion group we can form it any way we wish. I wouldn't be adverse to selecting a new author (defined as one who started publishing less than 5 years ago) every 3 months, leaving the other two months for the Canon. Do you think that will work, and do you think you could research and nominate the books for those months?
              Last edited by JohnT; January 14, 2003, 09:15.

Comment

Might as well bump this one too...

Comment

Did we decide on Revelation Space, then?
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

No. I bought that one. It is long and boring. I dropped it after 10 pages. Go with the Herbert one.

And don't get a bunch of liquid courage and get feisting with me, burger.

Comment

I can't go getting courageous two nights in a row -- too expensive.

Comment

Looks like the HErbert one.

Comment

Herbert's only gotten one vote on the voting thread. Foundation's the one that's closest to Revelation Space at the moment...

Comment

Ooops. Thanks. Didn't know we needed to vote.

Comment

Just figured I could bully everybody in a thread.

Comment

Well, Revelation Space is still winning GP. You need to fix the voting rolls or something - you might want to ask Ming/Rah: I'm sure their experiences of living in Chicago has taught them well how to fix races of this sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X