No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club.

Who here wants to start a discussion group? How it will work is that we will nominate and vote for books for a particular month, and then on the first of the month I will open a thread and we can discuss the novel. We also would take nominations and make the selection for the next month's novel.

So who's game? My nomination for February is Margaret Atwoods The Handmaids Tale. Anybody second?

Count me in.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Does A Handmaids Tale really count as Sci-fi. Theres not much 'science' involved, its more like 'futuristic sociology'.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Spencer :
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I Am in

I think this is a great idea

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I was going to point Spencer to that thread, but I didn't want to stir up that nest of hornets again.

Spencer, to answer your question, who the hell knows? It's close enough to sf to be done by the science fiction discussion group that I moderate here in Knoxville, so obviously I think so.

Comment

I'll nominate Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

John, you've been spending too much time at straight dope .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

GMTA

Comment

?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Great Minds Think Alike.

Comment

Ah... you and your goshdarn confounding acronyms .

Comment

You mean my GCA's?

Comment

Its a pity I missed that thread. Of course you can call it 'science fiction'. Thats how it was classified when it came out, but I dont think Atwood ever referred to it (herself) in that way. Its just a different background for her feminist writing aimed at portarying men as manipulative, oppessive pigs and therefore better classified as an interesting piece of 'futuristic sociology'.

There! Thats my book report all done.

Next time, same channel we'll report on the Dune series by Frank Herbert in ten words or less.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'll certainly participate.

Spencer: Over-achiever...
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X