Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush to annonce $600 Bn Tax Cut

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    "do you know any Americans making 210 trillion at their 9 to 5?"



    Remedial math, man. Remedial math.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

    Comment


    • #92
      That puts it very plainly.

      Originally posted by orange
      your file directs me to a Civfanatics zip file...uploaded by another poster no doubt
      No it was uploaded by me. I forgot to attach the file in the post and instead of double-posting I just uploaded to the CFC upload feature and pasted the link into the post (obviously I don't have my own website).
      Unbelievable!

      Comment


      • #93
        They live for free Dan, didn't you get the memo?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by DanS
          "do you know any Americans making 210 trillion at their 9 to 5?"



          Remedial math, man. Remedial math.
          Unbelievable!

          Comment


          • #95
            what do expenses have to do with anything?

            I suppose there's no purpose in saying someone makes $50,000 a year since it doesn't take expenses into account?
            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

            "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

            Comment


            • #96
              No, there's no purpose.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

              Comment


              • #97
                oh i see, haha, i said trillions...man this isn't a good day for my mind is it? I couldn't find the data on the chart, and now I'm putting in a few extra zeroes

                I think I need a nap
                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                Comment


                • #98
                  i feel like Dr. Evil
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                  "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Darius871
                    The numbers you gave are percentages of income. I listed what percentage of the total tax burden is paid by each group. The figures in question are at the bottom:
                    I know they're percentages of income, that's why I posted them It was related to what I was looking for earlier.

                    DanS directed me to what you were talking about, but thanks for posting the screen shot anyway.
                    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                    "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                    Comment


                    • Uh, Orange, your problems go way further than adding 3 zeros. You're quoting revenues, which is roughly equivalent to total sales. From that, you have to subtract the cost of everything made/sold/what have you, including materials, labor, overhead, electricity, shipping, etc.. Then, take off taxes, interest, etc.. The most profitable corporations in the US (in absolute terms, not by margins) make in the neighbourhood of $3-5 billion per year. Take GM, for example. 2001 was a bad year for them, but in 2000 they had a profit of $4.45 billion. Considering they employ roughly 200,000 in North America alone (and huge numbers more overseas), things come a little closer to being in perspective.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

                      Comment


                      • My mistake, Exxon Mobil had net income of $15 billion in 2001. A little higher than what I originally posted.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

                        Comment


                        • Income taxes are based on income (analogous to corporate revenue)
                          Corporate taxes are based on profits (revenues minus expenses).
                          Profits are an overstatement of what corporations earn, because some of that is payment to stockholders for the capital they provide to the corportation.
                          Old posters never die.
                          They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

                          Comment


                          • hey wait a minute, i wasn't trying to make an analogy! He just questioned me saying "Corporations make a lot of money"
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                            "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                            Comment


                            • no harm intended.
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

                              Comment


                              • The problem with taxing corporations is that the extra expense often gets passed on to consumers and employees..... Taxing the wealthy directly would be a better method of progressive taxation.
                                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

                                "I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X