Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush to annonce $600 Bn Tax Cut

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    oh, and by the way, that scenario (while cute) is completely inaccurate. 40% of the nation doesn't (legally) pay any taxes while the richest 10% pay 60% of them? I hardly think the figures are that bloated.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

    "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

    Comment


    • #77
      The first four men (the poorest 40%) would pay a combined $15 - Lower and Middle Lower Class
      The fifth would pay $9 - Upper Lower Class
      The sixth would pay $11 - Lower Middle Class
      The seventh $13 - Middle Middle Class
      The eighth $15 - Upper Middle Class
      The ninth $18 - Lower Upper Class
      The tenth man (the richest 10%) would pay $23. - Middle and Upper Upper Class

      Sounds closer to reality to me
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

      "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

      Comment


      • #78
        "I hardly think the figures are that bloated."

        It's the way things work on federal income taxes.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

        Comment


        • #79
          Even a pay roll tax would go mostly to the rich since the rich pay most of the taxes. The point is everyone should recieve an equal percentage reduction in the taxes that they did pay. Plus since every worker pays payroll taxes every worker will benifet.

          As an absolute term some people will get more but as a percentage term everyone can get an equal reduction. It's very simple really.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

          Comment


          • #80
            For instance let's use some made up numbers to illistraite what I'm talking about. Let's say there are five men each of whom is in a different tax bracket. #1 pays 10% of his income in taxes, #2 pays 20%, #3 30%, #4 40%, and #5 50%. So if we cut everyone's taxes by 2% then the new brackets will be 8%, 18%, 28%, 38%, and 48%. Everyone's reduction is proportial to the tax they previously payed and so it is "fair".
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

            Comment


            • #81
              Not exactly, because in that case #1 would be paying 20% less total money to taxes (from 10% to 8%), while #5 would be paying only 4% less (from 50% to 48%). Everybody has a different definition of 'fair'.
              Unbelievable!

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by orange
                I hardly think the figures are that bloated.
                Wrong, it's even more bloated than that. Looking at IRS figures from fiscal year 2000-2001:

                The top 1% paid 37.42% of total federal income taxes.
                The top 5% paid 56.47% of total federal income taxes.
                The top 10% paid 67.3% of total federal income taxes.
                The top 50% paid 96.1% of total federal income taxes.



                Source:
                00in01rt.xls
                Last edited by Darius871; January 6, 2003, 17:22.
                Unbelievable!

                Comment


                • #83
                  i was looking for those IRS figures, but couldn't find them on the IRS site...your file directs me to a Civfanatics zip file...uploaded by another poster no doubt...happen to know where the original can be found?
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                  "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    this is what bothers me most...

                    Individual income tax [1]: 1,178,210
                    Corporation income tax [1]: 186,732
                    Corporations pay 1/6th of the taxes in terms of money than individuals in their income taxes, yet corporations are where all the money is made.

                    I'm hoping for more specific figures so that I can better form an opinion...but I'm not finding any on the site...
                    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                    "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      the only remotely relevant figures I got from your source, Darius, were the tax percentages...

                      Top 1% = 27.45%
                      Top 5% = 24.42%
                      Top 10% = 23.34%
                      Top 25% = 19.09%
                      Top 50% = 16.86%

                      And that tells me little, since the figures are cumulative...I don't see anything with tax bracket percentages or total taxes collected, let alone the bottom 50% (which strikes me as odd that they're only paying 4% of total income taxes...)
                      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                      "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Orange: maybe you should look at the table two below the one you quoted?

                        "which strikes me as odd that they're only paying 4% of total income taxes..."

                        Why does the truth strike you as odd? I thought this was pretty common knowledge?

                        "yet corporations are where all the money is made"

                        How do you figure?
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Thanks DanS. Didn't see that part.

                          The problem with the figures is that the wealthiest 10% of the nation control about 90% of the wealth...I'd like to see the figures to confirm this...but the 'strikes me as odd' part was because these figures show that the division between rich and poor in this country is larger than I had previously thought.

                          Note: I was not shocked that the poor were only paying a small percentage of the total income tax money. I would still expect, however, that the actual percentage of their income which is taxed is greater than 0

                          Does anyone have a link to the actual tax percentage brackets and/or money collected from each? (perhaps from the IRS?)
                          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                          "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            did you just edit this part in, Dan? :rubs eyes:

                            "yet corporations are where all the money is made"

                            How do you figure?
                            Um...revenues for the year 2000

                            ExxonMobil $210,392,000,000
                            Wal-Mart Stores $193,295,000,000
                            General Motors $184,632,000,000
                            Ford Motor $180,598,000,000
                            DaimlerChrysler $150,069,000,000
                            ...do you know any Americans making 210 trillion (er, I mean...billion! : pinky : ) at their 9 to 5?
                            Last edited by orange; January 6, 2003, 19:30.
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

                            "I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by orange
                              the only remotely relevant figures I got from your source, Darius, were the tax percentages...

                              Top 1% = 27.45%
                              Top 5% = 24.42%
                              Top 10% = 23.34%
                              Top 25% = 19.09%
                              Top 50% = 16.86%

                              And that tells me little, since the figures are cumulative...I don't see anything with tax bracket percentages or total taxes collected, let alone the bottom 50% (which strikes me as odd that they're only paying 4% of total income taxes...)
                              The numbers you gave are percentages of income. I listed what percentage of the total tax burden is paid by each group. The figures in question are at the bottom:
                              Attached Files
                              Unbelievable!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                What? Corporations don't have any expenses any more?
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X