Huge terract in downtown Tel-Aviv. Scores dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge terract in downtown Tel-Aviv. Scores dead

Two suicide bombers rip downtown Tel Aviv, an area near a building preivously serving as a Bus Depot and now a shopping center.

The center is targetting weaker population and is always packed with foreign workers (from east europe and south east asia).

Current statistics talk about 20 dead (may or may not include 1 of the suicide bombers) and dozens upon dozens of injured, 9 of them in critical condition.

The traffic is jammed and ambulances could hardly come through. Many injured people were transported using private cars and taxis.

No responsibility taken yet - but all sources say it's apparently Hamas or Islamic Jihad.

This comes as Hamas and Arafat recently blew up talks about an Egyptian draft calling for a 6 month long period of cease fire.

Egyptians wanted the whole terror campaign to stop, Arafat wanted only to diminish terracts within the green line (Israel proper) and Hamas wanted to keep it's status and feared the 6 months long quiet will dwindle intifada support on the streets (Israeli and Palestinian public would exit state of shock and begin peace probing).

Saying all that - I'm scheduled to go to Tel-Aviv tommorow morning for security checkup for the IDF.
    Last edited by Sirotnikov; January 5, 2003, 14:28.

Good luck in Tel Aviv, Siro.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Israel will have a tough job retaliating.

1. a balance must be kept before the elections.

2. the last few weeks have already seen an increase in IDF anti-terror activity titled by army commentators "picking the ripe fruits of successfull intelligence operations". There's not much where to escalate without risking serious mess.

3. No unity government to support a move politically. Immediate criticism from all sides of political spectrum.

4. Progress in Israel-Britain talks about the ME.

5. Israel is expected not to be drawn into a harsh reaction so that not to cause a PR mess and cause postponing of possible anti-Iraqi actions.

Comment

UPDATE:

MASSIVE POLICE HUNT AFTER A BLACK HONDA CIVIC SEEN RACING FROM THE PLACE OF THE EVENT. CAR APPARENTLY HEADING TOWARDS WEST BANK.

Comment

MORE NEWS:

The Israeli missile to air defense system "Arrow" developed by Israel and funded by USA was tested today for the first time against several targets at once, and successfully terminated them all, using 4 missiles.

American experts reported to have taken part in observing the experiments.

Comment

MORE BACKGROUND:

There was a high alert yesterday for a terract in Jerusalem. No such alert for Tel-Aviv. Intelligence agencies report of huge efforts in the last days to send out successfull terrorist attacks, moreso than before.

Comment

20 dead.

HYD.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

HYD?
                "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                - Lone Star

Comment

wait, somebody dropped off the suicide bomber and drove away?

what function does a "driver" serve in the jihad? is that one of the auto-heaven jobs?

good job with the arrow system. now you just got to wait for the suicide bombers to jump.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

HFS. Really sorry, guys. Sure sucks to live in there...

Comment

that sucks...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Stay safe, Siro, and everyone else there.

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Eli it is wierd to see the smilies in your avatar next to the content of your post.

Comment

HYD?

Ha-Shem Ynkom Damam - The Lord shall avenge their blood.

It's accepted to say it for people who have been unjustly killed in a devious way.

wait, somebody dropped off the suicide bomber and drove away?

Well they didn't just strolled there from the west bank.

what function does a "driver" serve in the jihad? is that one of the auto-heaven jobs?

A driver can also be the same person who mentally prepares the terrorists.

good job with the arrow system. now you just got to wait for the suicide bombers to jump.

I actually laughed.

It's again Scud and Katyusha missiles.

Comment

HFS
                              ?

Edan - please log onto ICQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X