Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The creeping fog of disillusionment in the United States continues to roll...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The creeping fog of disillusionment in the United States continues to roll...

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

U.S. Proposes Visitor Tracking System
    Fri Jan 3, 2:37 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Millions of travelers arriving and departing the United States will have to submit detailed personal information this year under rules proposed by the federal government Friday as part of the war on terrorism.

The rules proposed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, once they are finalized, seek more information from travelers than under current law and for the first time extend the requirements to U.S. citizens and others previously exempted.

All airlines, cargo flights, cruise ships and other vessels carrying crew or passengers will be affected, with the exception of ferry boats. The information will be sent electronically to the government before a traveler arrives in the United States or departs from it, giving officials a complete manifest of exactly who is on board.

"It's another way to enhance security for travelers," said INS spokeswoman Kimberly Weismann.

The changes were mandated by broad border security legislation that passed Congress overwhelmingly and was signed into law May 14 by President Bush (news - web sites). The law also tightened rules regarding issuance of visas to visitors and students coming to the United States and adding more Border Patrol officers, among other things.

For years, international travelers have been required to fill out forms detailing their arrival and departure from countries around the world. The U.S. government, however, has not previously required its own citizens to submit such forms. Canadians, permanent resident aliens and certain other people were also exempted.

The proposed INS rule would require all passengers arriving or departing, as well as crew members, to provide this information: name; date of birth; citizenship; sex; passport number and country of issuance; country of residence; U.S. visa number and other details of its issuance; address while in the United States; and, where it applies, alien registration number.

The law also gives Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) leeway in proposing further requirements. In the INS rule, Ashcroft has added a proposed "passenger name record" for airlines that will enable the government to better match a departure record with one for an arrival.

Once the information is collected, it will be transmitted to the U.S. government and matched against "the appropriate security databases" prior to the travelers' arrival. Anyone who raises a red flag regarding terrorism or other law enforcement concern could be met by officials when the ship or plane arrives in this country.

That computer system is still being developed, meaning the rules will probably take full effect later this year. The INS estimates they will affect 108 large commercial air carriers and ship lines, as well as more than 14,400 smaller carriers of both kinds. Initial costs to the private sector in complying with the rules are pegged at $166 million.

____

On the Net:

I'm not certain what to feel about this developement. On the surface it seems like a logical thing to require, but underneath I'm a little unsettled by it. I seriously doubt they'll ever make any proposals that citizens will next need to submit Travel Papers whenever travelling between states, but still this latest proposal gives reason for pause...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

hurrah all the producers of films with America as a police state in the future will be well chuffed to see their predictions coming true.

Comment

The proposed INS rule would require all passengers arriving or departing, as well as crew members, to provide this information: name; date of birth; citizenship; sex; passport number and country of issuance; country of residence; U.S. visa number and other details of its issuance; address while in the United States; and, where it applies, alien registration number.

That's it? Big ****ing deal...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This is a good rule and just seems like common sense, and my question is:

WHY WASN'T THIS BEING DONE ALL ALONG?
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

this decision may seem small but combined with other such security steps it could be quite intrusive. it's not as if a "police state" would appear in one step, they would gradually have the state getting more repressive and more liberties being removed in the name of security.

it's called salami tactics, each time you do a little more than before. each time, nothing you do can be objected to as it's such a small thing but put together and it's quite the sacrifice.

i'm not saying this is happening to the US but any removal of civil liberties is a bad thing. the question is how much freedom is America willing to sacrifice in the name of protection from terrorism?

note, in this case they're tightening up entrance procedures which in itself is a good thing. However, when combined with other things that have been introduced post 11/9 it does seem a little repressive. Maybe I'm wrong though. Time will tell.

Comment

How exactly does this new policy violate anyone's civil rights? It's a common sense policy, for god's sake. Wake the **** up...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Demerzel: How much for your tinfoil hat?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm sure implanted ID chips will be next
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There's nothing inherently evil about an ID chip.

And ID chip with homing devices is unacceptable, though.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There are already some parents who have embedded the ID chip into their kids.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

OMFG, are you serious Striker? I was being facetious...

yikes...

Asher: yeah that's what I meant... homing trackers and stuff... don't worry though, I've got numerous foil hats just in case
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Seriously, it's been done. And I'm pretty sure that they have tracking devices in them.

It's like that lojack chip you get for your car to protect it in case it gets stolen!

Comment

Anybody here ever heard of movement analysis?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I take it that the United States of America is the first Western government to implement (or try to) such a security system, considering how outraged some folks are by it? Demerzel?

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

If my folks did that to me, I'd rip that sh!t out!...
                              hold on let me check myself... hopefully there isn't one in my n00ts!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X