Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most amazing military victory in history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manchester United's victory over Sunderland.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
      Tass-okay, okay...you got me there.

Good call.

The Tulane victory over Hawaii 36-28 in the Hawaii Bowl!!

gotcha again Franky

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Alésia
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          Therompylae . . . it's no suprise they won.
          Er...the Spartans lost that one. A Greek sheepherder should the Persians a goat trail which led around behind the Spartans, and the polis of Spartan failed to send promised reinforcements. The last communique for King Leonides: "Tell the people of Sparta that here we lie, obedient to their wishes."

I vote for Operation Desert Storm--the 4th largest army in the world destroyed with only 100 killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
            For a battle, Oerdin might have the most astounding victory. For a war, I would I have to say Israel winning in 1948.
            Considering Israel outnumbered its enemies, had more weapons, a unified command structure, it was rather surprising they didn't take the whole thing. The outcome in the 1948 war was a foregone conclusion. US state department records from before the war predict a total Israeli victory.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wasn't the most amazing victory Alexander the Great's conquest of Persia, especially the battle where he destroyed the Persian army despite attacking across a river and being massively outnumbered. I believe it was the most lopsided victory in history until the Gulf War.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                I'd vote for the battle of Midway. The odds were stacked against the Americans, but with a little luck and a little cunning, they won a huge victory, that quite a few poeple think was the turning point in the war of the Pacific.
                I'd vote for Midway too. I read somewhere that the US naval academy has done dozens of simulations of the battle and every time the Japanese win.

The US had an amazing string of luck in the attack that took out the Japanese carriers, including:

- US aircraft spot the Japanese carriers at the last minute.
                - the divebombers arrive late, and as a result the Japanese fighters have dropped down to sea level to take out the torpedo bombers so the fighters can't stop the divebombers.
                - the Japanese aircraft being rearmed exactly when the US aircraft attack.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

John Magruder lead a Rebel force against Galvaston, Texas. He assaulted with 500 men on land against barricades. His ladders were too short. The attack fizzled.

Meanwhile he had prepared to attack the five Federal gunboats by stacking cotton bales on two paddleboats, one of which had one 37 pounder and the other was outfitted with a ram composed of railroad ties. The upper decks were outfitted with marksmen.

The paddleboats came steaming in and while the 37 pound gun exploded and killed the crew and captain, the other boat rammed a Federal gunboat. The sharpshooters raked its deck and a boarding party seized the gunboat. One Federal caption was so sure he was doomed he scuttled his ship blowing himself up in the process. The other three gunboats promptly surrendered.

This so terrified the garrison in the city that they promptly surrendered.

Comment

Agincourt first came to mind, but now I think that it must be an offensive victory to be the most amazing.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No Blitzkrieg over the Maginot Line?
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                        No Blitzkrieg over the Maginot Line?
                        Around it I think.

Comment

Midway for the reasons stated.
                          We did not know it was Midway until a few days before. Sailed with 2 carriers and Yorktown was still in drydock until the last minutes and then sailed to just get there a few hours before the attack started. And we did not know if the Japanese BBs would be with the carrier or not and we had only a few cruisers, destroys and 3 carriers.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick

Around it I think.
                            Correct.

Comment

The victory of the Macabees. Who would have thought that a bunch of sheep herders could whip Greek butt?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Germany the best equip army in the world in 1942, and was not able to take St. Petersburg, Moscow, or Stalingrad.

Comment

Working...
                                X