Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most amazing military victory in history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most amazing military victory in history?

Im trying to think about it..........the two best I can think of are both from the Persian-Greek war.

The most amazing military victory in history, in my opinion is the battle of Thermopylae, with the battle of Salamis and Plataea in a distant second.

Summary of the Battle of Thermopylae: Persia was going to send tens of thousands of troops against Athens and Sparta, the cities needed time to prepare.

300 Spartan elite troops(including one of the spartan's kings) waited in a valley for the persian army to come. The 300 spartans killed thousands of Persian troops and held them off long enough for the Athenians and Spartans to get up defences-they later routed the persian army.

Info on the battle of Salamis and Plataea at http://www-adm.pdx.edu/user/sinq/gre...r2/salamis.htm

Nope, the most astounding military victory in history was at Chahimica in modern day Peru. A force of 150 Spaniards utterly defeated a force of 25,000 natives and captured the Inca King . As a result of this battle the Inca empire was effectively destroyed and many of the the natives began to believe the Europeans where unbeatable gods.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For details read "Guns, Germs, & Steel" by Gerad Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Nope, the most astounding military victory in history was at Chahimica in modern day Peru. A force of 150 Spaniards utterly defeated a force of 25,000 natives and captured the Inca King . As a result of this battle the Inca empire was effectively destroyed and many of the the natives began to believe the Europeans where unbeatable gods.
        That wasent really a millitary battle, it was 150 spaniards VS civilians who thought they were Gods.......the Inca's didnt really put up a fight.

Thats like cheating in Civ2 or 3, getting stealth bombers on turn 1, then wiping out enemy cities-nothing surprising or amazing about that kinda a victory when you have tons more fire power, and the enemy thinks your God.

Comment

The American Colonies kicking British bum and making the glorious nation that stands before you today.

Go US!
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Therompylae isn't that amazing. If you have ever seen pictures of the area, that has to be one of the east grounds to defends in the world. Spartan troops were very much the superior of Persian forces, so with that narrow a chokepoint it's no suprise they won.

For a battle, Oerdin might have the most astounding victory. For a war, I would I have to say Israel winning in 1948.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
              Therompylae isn't that amazing. If you have ever seen pictures of the area, that has to be one of the east grounds to defends in the world. Spartan troops were very much the superior of Persian forces, so with that narrow a chokepoint it's no suprise they won.

For a battle, Oerdin might have the most astounding victory. For a war, I would I have to say Israel winning in 1948.

I'd like to support that on moral grounds and patriotic pride(im an American Jew, same thing) but I dont know enough about the independance war to make a judgment on it(though the wars going on for the next 30 years were pretty amazing heh).

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                The American Colonies kicking British bum and making the glorious nation that stands before you today.

Go US!
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

There were more amazing victories then the U.S. in the revolutionary war heh.

Comment

Of course the tri-color is a republican flag and the royal government was the one whom helped the Americans so the appropriate flag would be this.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dinner; December 31, 2002, 21:04.

Comment

I'd vote for the battle of Midway. The odds were stacked against the Americans, but with a little luck and a little cunning, they won a huge victory, that quite a few poeple think was the turning point in the war of the Pacific.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nah, not midway. The U.S. had broken the Jap codes by then and knew exactly when and where they would strike. It's easy to counter the enemy if you know exactly what he's going to do and where he's going to be at what time.

Comment

Tass-okay, okay...you got me there.

Good call.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                            Tass-okay, okay...you got me there.

Good call.
                            Hehe

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for your nation to solve its communications issues so that it may participate in the global gaming event....
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Agincourt!
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X