Metal/Rock/Nu-Metal/Alternative appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal/Rock/Nu-Metal/Alternative appreciation thread

I'd like people to list their favorite bands, current or all-time favorites, and explain what about that band or artist you like.

Disturbed - This is my current fave band. The lead guitarist is exceptionally talented. At first, I dismissed this band as another Korn/nu-metal clone. But after listening to the lyrics and instrumental play, I began to like this band a lot. "The Sickness" was a good album, but I like the follow-up "Believe" even more. The lead singer has much better control over his voice and the guitarist seems more precise in his riffs. The one complaint about the new album is that some of the songs contain very few lyrics and are repeated too often. This band is excellent when they start a song slow and then switch to a hard-core chorus. The chorus riffs are bad 4ss.

If your posts are going to be long, like this one, please restrict it to one band per post.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Nirvana - Perhaps my all time favorite band. I'm not a member of the Kurt Cobain 4sslicking club, but I admit he was talented. Nevermind was my favorite album by far. Smells Like Teen Spirit got my to buy the album, but songs like Drain You, and Territorial Pissings, made Nirvana one of my all time faves. This band can play fast and hard. This band can play a slower ballad. But the lyrics are perhaps the most poetic and unique I've ever heard. Cobain, while not the most talented guitarist, played with raw emotion. Dave Grohl, I think, is one of the top-5 drummers of all time. And Chris Novoslec's (I know I spelled that wrong) bass complemented the band's sound perfectly. I wasn't a fan of the MTV unplugged stuff, though. It's a shame Kurt couldn't continue his career, because I'm sure he would have made a lot of great music, though I suspect he would have eventually gone solo.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Drowning Pool - Yet another band that has lost its lead singer. This band had only moderate success before death claimed its talented singer. Drowning Pool is a great hard pure metal band. "Bodies" was the first song that caught my attention. The chorus is so catchy and just rocks. I heard a rumor that this band had completed a second album before their singer died. I hope its released because the first mainstream album was great. This band was great fast and slow. The vocals weren't simply screamed as their vocalist was very talented. The guitar and drum work is also very good... "Sermon" is perhaps my favorite song. Those of you that know my views on religion would certainly understand . One of my favorite quotes is from the lyrics... "Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention... are you ready for the joke... are you ready for the great deception.... GOD! GOD! GOD!". What was surprising to learn about this band is that they're all very intelligent and well read. They remind me a lot of Rob Zombie. I hope that the surviving members find another talented singer and stay together. This group is talented enough to do so.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Rage Against the Machine - Perhaps one of my favorite bands from the mid to late 90's. Their political charged songs corresponded with their music beautifully. I'm definitely sorry to know that they broke up. Rumor has it that it was because lead singer Zack De LaRocha wanted to head in a different direction creatively than the rest of the band. The other members stayed together and hired former Soundgarden vocalist, Chris Kornell, and created a new band, AudioSlave (which sucks). My favorite album, by far, is their first self-titled mainstream release. This band attacks the most basic abuses of government with its leftist lyrics. "Bullet in the Head" and "Know Your Enemy" are perhaps my two favorite Rage songs. Regardless if you agree with their politics, Rage is still one of the best bands. They are musically very talented, and De LaRocha's intense vocals, this band released a ton of great music in its time. I'm waiting to hear if Zach plans on doing anything solo, but I doubt it will rival anything this group did while together. This band is the ultimate voice for the disenfranchised, angry youth of America.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

they're all very intelligent
          How did the lead singer of Downing Pool die again...

Was it on the floor in his bus choking on his own vomit?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Third Eye Blind new album now entitled "Out of the Vein" got moved back to March 4.

Their new songs kick ass too.
            Crystal Baller
            Palm Reader
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I haven't been too impressed by the new 3EB songs. And seeing Stephan Jenkins on cribs and the enormous size of his ego, and seeing all of the stupid things he's said about Rob Thomas, I'm going to probably just pass on the new album. I've got their first album and Blue though.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                I haven't been too impressed by the new 3EB songs. And seeing Stephan Jenkins on cribs and the enormous size of his ego, and seeing all of the stupid things he's said about Rob Thomas, I'm going to probably just pass on the new album. I've got their first album and Blue though.
                He doesn't have that large of an ego. As you saw on Cribs, he didn't really have a big living area. He is dating Vanessa Carlton too, not someone you'd really brag about dating. He wasn't egotistic at all on Howard Stern the other day too.

And I'm sorry, but Rob Thomas is a poser. Matchbox Twenty (changed from 20 to seem more important) is going downhill. I (along with many other people) would take Real World, Push, and 3am over any of the stuff anyday.
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Apoc, maybe if Mad Season didn't outsell Blue 5-to-1 I'd believe the downhill comment.

I also don't get the poser comment -- what exactly is he posing as?

Last time I checked it was Stephan Jenkins doing stuff with Andrew W.K., Limp Bizkit, and Run DMC.
                  Last edited by Asher; December 23, 2002, 02:09.

Comment

The only good Matchbox 20 song ever was that "Long Day" tune they had so many years ago. Now they are old-people, bland rock, IMHO.
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Downhill as in only their old stuff is played on rock stations. Their new stuff is only played on adult comtempory and Top 40 stations. Furthermore, when my local adult station references Matchbox they always play either 3am or Real World.

Thomas is a poser because of that **** he started pulling in bent.

Andrew W.K. and Run DMC aren't posers. And it is only Durst that Stephan has been associated with. Furthermore, I dare you to argue JT Leroy is a poser.

Comment

FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER
                        FILTER

They kick so much ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          Downhill as in only their old stuff is played on rock stations.
                          I have no idea what you're talking about.

Disease and Feel are both getting tons of airplay on the local rock station where I live...

It's true that Mad Season had many songs that did very well on the Adult Contemporary charts, but perhaps you should actually listen to More Than You Think You Are (the latest, couple weeks old now) before you think that Mad Season is the direction they're heading in...

Thomas is a poser because of that **** he started pulling in bent.
                          Huh? The what he started pulling in bent? Does this make sense?

Little history for you:
                          "Third Eye Blind" - 6x platinum
                          "Blue" - 1x platinum

"Yourself or Someone Like You" - 12x platinum
                          "Mad Season" - 4x platinum
                          "More Than You Think You Are": 1x platinum after just 3 weeks

Stephan Jenkins Grammies: 0
                          Rob Thomas Grammies: 3

Now if you wanna continue discussing this, hit me up on AIM

Comment

Come on Asher, those kinds of accolades don't equal good music, in fact I would say they have a rather inverse effect. Brittany and Mariah and Eminem have sold several millions of copies and won some grammies too. Are they better than *insert random talented band here*
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, but it certainly refutes the downhill argument if they retain their fans a lot better than another band, no?

Rolling Stone claims their latest album is their best, for what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X