Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Sealion: Could it have been pulled off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ned
    I believe they could have had the necessary equipment by '43.
    At least a full year after the US entered the war. By the time Germany would have been able to contest British superiority in the seas enough to launch an invasion the US would have been in full swing.

As far as Hitler having to invade Russia preemptively, there isn't much evidence that Stalin wanted to fight him. Stalin seemed quite content with his own massive empire, and didn't want to risk war with the Nazis.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94

I was wondering if anyone would call me on that!
      One of Disney's best, if I say so myself…
      I used to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks once a week when I was a kid. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Especially when the magic knights chase the Nazis out of England...
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        Was Angela Landsbury even alive during WWII?
        I think she was in her early 60s in WWII...
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I'm still shocked that Boris loves a movie about a magic knob...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It wasn't about knobs ya farkin bivouac!
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

It was very much about knobs; the title is proof of that. Maybe your love for Bedknobs and Broomsticks has exposed some "issues" you need to address.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

(btw, it was not Britain who first targetted civilians, but the Germans, who bombed Warsaw)

Guernica?
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  Germany almost won the Battle of the Atlantic in spite of the limited resources Hitler put into it. We're talking about Hitler using all Germany's resources into defeating Britain over a sustained period, not just a few weeks.
                  Almost? In what sense? The German surface ships were readily defeated. If not for the U-boat captains resourcefulness, it would have been a devestating defeat for Hitler. The Mediterranean strategy would almost be a total failure. Hitler needed to divide his forces into two parts, one to suppress the North Atlantic/British Channel activities and the other to use in the Mediterranean.

If he didn't pin NA/BC the Brits would just keep harassing Germany - Lancaster bombers over Berlin. Oh joy If he did he would need a much bigger air force and surface fleet to do the job.

The first point is complete nonsense and the second is utter rubbish
                  How would he sustain the supplies in NA, Horsie? Considering how many Indian soldiers were in the British army it is quite conceivable to attack Middle East from India.

No and he wanted to carve up the world with Hitler. This also fits nicely with the Mediterranean strat Stalin was very keen to agree global spheres of influence with Hitler under the Nazi Soviet Pact. He supplied Hitler's war machine with raw materials right up till Hitler invaded in 1941.
                  Probably not. Stalin was just biding time until he could launch his invasion. That's why Hitler attacked when he wasn't quite ready - just look at those crappy tanks. In fact, when a Soviet delegate checking out the German tank factories reported back to Stalin that the Nazis were hiding stuff, Hilter got worried. It meant the Soviets got better tanks.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The wholw point about sealion was they coudn't even think about without air superiority. Without it the Royal navy would have made mincermeat out the german landing force.

Even if they had air superiority the navy would have sacrificed the destroyer and cruiser force to stop the invasion. Then if the germans got ashore the British were well dug in with the remaining armoured forces held in reserve to attack any break out. in 1940 German tanks wern't better than the British ones.

Also a German victory in the BoB would not mean the entire airforce was destroyed and the british light bomber force was being held in reserve to attack any invasion.

Having said all that had Halifax become prome minister we would have just given up and the Germans wouldn't have had to bother
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

What? How could a city in Nova Scotia become Prime Minister?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        What? How could a city in Nova Scotia become Prime Minister?
                        well the current system wasn't working so they thought of a radical solution.
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                          The wholw point about sealion was they coudn't even think about without air superiority. Without it the Royal navy would have made mincermeat out the german landing force.
                          They could easily achieve local air superiority over the channel.

Even if they had air superiority the navy would have sacrificed the destroyer and cruiser force to stop the invasion.
                          Wouldn't have achieved anything.

Then if the germans got ashore the British were well dug in with the remaining armoured forces held in reserve to attack any break out.
                          They weren't well dug in and there weren't any tanks left after Dunkirk.

in 1940 German tanks wern't better than the British ones.
                          Rubbish. Britain didn't produce a decent tank for the entire war.

Also a German victory in the BoB would not mean the entire airforce was destroyed and the british light bomber force was being held in reserve to attack any invasion.
                          Dream on. You mean like the British light bomber force stopped the German breakthrough in France?

Having said all that had Halifax become prome minister we would have just given up and the Germans wouldn't have had to bother
                          At last agreement And if Germany had ever taken the war in the Middle East seriously Churchill would have fallen and Halifax or someone like him would have been Prime Minister.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

[SIZE=1]
                            They could easily achieve local air superiority over the channel.
                            Not if the RAF has won the BoB thats the point.

[SIZE=1]
                            Wouldn't have achieved anything.
                            Other tahn sinking the invasion force

[SIZE=1] They weren't well dug in and there weren't any tanks left after Dunkirk.
                            Britain lost most not all its tanks, it had at least an armoured corps left. There were still alot of troops and they had weapons. The problem was transport more than guns. They couldn't go on the offensive but they could fight a defensive battle. The south of England is still full of the defences thrown up in 1940, back then it looke like the Maginot line in places.

[SIZE=1]
                            Rubbish. Britain didn't produce a decent tank for the entire war.
                            The Matilda was a match for any German tank in 1940

[SIZE=1]
                            Dream on. You mean like the British light bomber force stopped the German breakthrough in France?
                            They would have been cut to pieces but they also would have been bombing a concentrated area they couldn't miss

[SIZE=1]
                            At last agreement And if Germany had ever taken the war in the Middle East seriously Churchill would have fallen and Halifax or someone like him would have been Prime Minister.
                            Its a fallacy to say the Germans didn't take it seriously, they didn't send as many than as to Russia but they sent more than a few hunderd hitler youth.

Comment

This page addresses most of the points being made in this thread.
                              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Working...
                              X