Why i hate starwars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calc II
    I generally steer myself away from any star prefixed scifi shows/movies...
    I like the way you use the force.
    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

What, did the OP actually compare the SW Franchise to the Roman Empire?

Doesn't he know how much Lucas pulled from LOTR and Dune?
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

ANH and ESB are great films, ESB being the best of the bunch. ANH suffers from some stretches of boringness and bad acting on the part of some people *cough*Harrison Ford*cough*, but is still a very good movie. There is an edginess and grit to these movies that I can't help but see as the true SW universe.

Things started going wrong by RotJ, which is still an enjoyable film, but is plagued by the cuddly Ewoks, the mustache-twirling villainy of the Emperor, and a myriad of plot inconsistencies. But, yes, it does have the coolest space battle in all of movies (though it is closely based on an actual WWII air battle). However, we can clearly see in this movie the movement towards movie-making-to-create-a-toy-franchise rather than actual story-telling for its own sake.

TPM was atrocious, filled with a ludicrous plot, horrendous acting and more irritating "cuteness" than a Disney cartoon. While it did have a few great moments (the Darth Maul lightsaber duel being one of them), they were always short-lived and quickly gave way to the moments of stilted dialogue and dumb plot contrivances. Any movie that makes Samuel L. Jackson look bad has to be a stinker.

I have not seen AotC yet, mostly because I reviled TPM so much. I suppose I will rent it on DVD sometime soon.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          I have not seen AotC yet, mostly because I reviled TPM so much. I suppose I will rent it on DVD sometime soon.
          It's one of those movies that's better on DVD/VHS than in the theaters, since that way you can skip the boring ****.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

AOTC was a thrilling experience for one reason only: most real SW fans are obviously with the side of the Empire, simply because it's cool. Seeing the Empire during it's rise and knowing what is hiding behind all of Palpatine's schemes is making the experience really worth it. The coolest moment of AOTC is near the end, where you see the vast clone stormtrooper army boarding some ships resembling early minuscule star destroyers and listening to a hint of the imperial death march. And of course, all the heroism of the good guys has a more tragic flavor in it when you realise where it will lead.
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

Anakin in Episode 2 was much, much, much more annoying than Jar Jar.

Not. Even. Close.

Jar-Jar was 10 times more annoying.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Not. Even. Close.

Jar-Jar was 10 times more annoying.
                Nothing, absolutely nothing is more annoying than teenage angst-ridden whining.

Natalie Portman. Cold filming set. Nuff said.
                True dat. But Anakin kept giving me murderous impulses.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

the Empire rules!

because good is dumb.

Comment

What I don't unerstand about many cheesy good-versus-evil movies is the motivation of the bad guy.

Sidious is pouring a huge amount of money and effort into a vast conspiracy to subvert the Republic and transform it into the Empire. A risky operation with a big chance of failure.

He desperately wants to be Emperor because... ?

"Because he's evil" appears to be sufficient justification for Lucas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
                      "Because he's evil" appears to be sufficient justification for Lucas.
                      You pinpoint the main criticism europeans make about Holywood's movies.
                      And with bad consequence that many europeans even think: "'Because he is evil' is sufficient justification for Americans".
                      See european's opinion on american's foreign policy.
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Nothing, absolutely nothing is more annoying than teenage angst-ridden whining.

So why are you still at Apolyton .

I actually liked the character of Anakin. Good job by Hayden Christiansen.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Without "Empire Strike Back" I wouldn't be the as big a fan as I am. Lucas needs to let others take the reins and do the things he isn't good at like... directing, writing, casting, producing, uhmmm.... maybe someone can just buy the franchise from him before he completely destroys it.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            I actually liked the character of Anakin. Good job by Hayden Christiansen.
                            AHHHHHHHH.... that kid couldn't act his way out of a school play.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That ego again. The guy took a HUGE risk in creating the franchise. Now you want to take it away from him? It's his baby and he can run it into the ground if he wants to (which I don't think he is doing).

Comment

This is America... you can buy anything away from anyone. Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles' work.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X