Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've generally heard that the execution is more costly than the life sentence because of the extensive appeals and such. If you do some web searches on US death penalty, you may be able to find some actual numbers, sources, computations, etc.

If you just take the cost of a few months of death row, plus the execution, I would assme that is LESS than the cost of a lifetown of chow and guards.

Comment

• I've heard that the number is 2x for Death Row. No idea how that is broken down.
      Be the bid!

Comment

• and of course it would all depend on the age of the convict.
        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

• Also the state in which the legal proceedings are being held. Some states expidite the appeals proces by going straight to the state supreme court and skipping all the lower appeals courts. This results in faster review and lower costs.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yeah well, that seems to become the fundamental argument against worries about a second Japan "we just don't care owkey?".

I dismiss it as a remote possibility at this point, which is why I don't care about it.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Japanese M4 growth has not been over 4% YoY since '91 by the way. We won't get into a deflationary spiral because cash is a hot-potato in the US. We are too foolhardy to actually save money when we could spend everything we earn on silly toys!!

Keep the money moving, boys.

Danny you want to start #13?
              Be the bid!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                Yeah well, that seems to become the fundamental argument against worries about a second Japan "we just don't care owkey?".

I dismiss it as a remote possibility at this point, which is why I don't care about it.
                Try to answer my question about death penalty vs life sentence, you may make more sense at that one.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Well let's say how much either of them cost on average across all states, are there any stats about that?

I recall a figure of $2 million for a death penalty procedure and an annual cost of $60.000 for a normal prisoner. Would that be a fairly correct figure?
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Sorry for the last 2 posts here, I hadn't noticed a new topic had been opened already.

And here's the link to it: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...14#post1628414

Comment

Working...
                    X