This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    The cause being that government industries are run for political objectives not financial ones. But if your objective function is job creation, than maybe you can make an argument.

Exactly... and they are one and the same. Because they are political they do a good job creating jobs. Of course, a great many of the jobs are useless to create (massive hidden unemployment in the government).

But it does depend on whether you value efficiency or job creation (though they don't have to be at opposites... just in the government ).

What are some examples of government run industries with political motivations?
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The sexual tension in this thread is running high!

It always does Derek .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• What are some examples of government run industries with political motivations?

Not specifically 'industries' in the US, but across the pond in the UK, plenty of government run industries (like British Airways) were fairly inefficient before Maggie privatized it. Though it was good for a job .

Amtrack is a quasi-government industry in the US, and I don't have to tell you the problems there with efficiency .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          The sexual tension in this thread is running high!

It always does Derek .
          I don't know about you but those equilibrium charts do wonders for my libido.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• J-curve, baby... J-curve .

Comment

• Amtrack. Postal service.

Comment

• I thought the argument for those was that they were for the greater good and not job creators (well they are job creators but those are necessary services).

Comment

• The postal service was pretty explicitly a jobs sponge at various times in its existence. For instance, the mail was delivered twice a day for many years.

Hershell has questioned why we haven't privatized this service, since we've privatized most other things. I've come around to agreeing that there would probably be a benefit to doing so.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• 2002 was a record loss for the Post Office.

Comment

• Yes, while FedEx and UPS seem to do OK.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Well, actually the idea of some limited job sponging sounds appealing, there needs to be a place that remains constant in terms of human resources requirements, as these places give people a place to retreat to when they get canned by the "efficient" private companies.

Comment

• All that would do is reward inefficiency. I think the unemployed should find refuge in healthy industries. The ability and tendency to shed jobs so quickly is an advantage for US industry, since the contraposit (hiring so quickly) is also true.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                            All that would do is reward inefficiency. I think the unemployed should find refuge in healthy industries. The ability and tendency to shed jobs so quickly is an advantage for US industry.
                            Exactly......productivity growth can reduce employment within an industry, but not at the aggregate level.

Comment

• When there is limited job growth across the board in the private sector, the public sector can serve as a buffer while the private sector gets its act together.

Comment

• I DanSed you some.

Comment

Working...
                                X