Madrid More Livable than New York!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh*
    Not just any beans though. Seriously boston baked beans ARE delicious. We're not famous for them, we are KNOWN for them, there's a huge difference. We're famous for our driving, sense of coolness, great quality of life, great history, great social scene and on and on…
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

• Well known, famous, same difference.

I am not sure about the great history part. Maybe for the US. See this Ming* vase here. Now that's history.

* Refers to the Ming dynasty, not to our esteemed mod.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• New York easily has 40, from huge ones (the Met is the worlds largest) to tiny ones.
        quantity is no replacement for quality.

I do not doubt that Paris a a glorious cultural center, but I must say Marky Mark that you show no comprehension of the immensity of NYC and of all that it offers. So, I must respectfully scoff at your ignorant statment.
        I have never met a single person who thinks New York is the world's cultural capital. It is a magnificent city, no question about that, but you honestly believe New York is culturally more important than cities like Paris or Rome (or a good number of others too), and that is just incomprehensable.

Well, thats fine then.

Question: How large is the Amsterdam metropolitan area?
        in square miles, or in population? The Amsterdam metropolitan area holds about 1.2 million people. Ditto for Rotterdam. Yes, far far less than New York or London, but that wasn't the issue. Your claim that hardly any (big) city in the world has such a diverse population (40% being from abroad) is of course absurd. Holland's two biggest cities can top that claim easily, and no doubt the same goes for lots of other cities in the world.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• on museums:

New York easily has 40
          A list of 42 museums in Paris:

40 museums from egyptian antiquity to XVIII th century painting in the Louvre and from Impressionnists to Modern Art through Orsay and Picasso museums.

Comment

• I found at least 90(!!!) in Rome...

NYC Cultlure = The Sex Museum
            You have those here too.

Comment

• Perhaps in 1900 Paris was the center for creation of new culture and art, but this all changed from the 10s to the 20s.
              Culture isn't limited to new art. Athens has a lot of culture, yet doesn't produce as much nowadays. Has to do with history in this case. (and that's something New York also doesn't have).

Comment

• Define 'culture'...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• nobody here does. GePap started saying New York was the world's cultural capital. The arguments he gave were the quantity of museums and stuff like that, and the Statue of Libery. Well, 40-some museums isn't a big deal (Rome has at least 90), and the Statue of Liberty is just one important building in the world. But so is the Eiffel Tower, or the Big Ben.

Anyway, from the dictionary:

cul·ture [ kúlchr ]
                  noun (plural cul·tures)

1. the arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities. Culture is necessary for a healthy society.

2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts. They are people of culture.

3. shared beliefs and values of a group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people Southeast Asian culture

4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong

5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.

6. growing biological material in special conditions: the growing of biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, in a nutrient substance in specially controlled conditions for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

7. biology biological material grown in special conditions: biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, grown in a nutrient substance culture medium in specially controlled conditions for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

8. tillage: the cultivation of the land or soil in preparation for growing crops or plants

9. improvement: the development of a skill or expertise through training or education physical culture

transitive verb (past cul·tured, past participle cul·tured, present participle cul·tur·ing, 3rd person present singular cul·tures)

1. grow in special conditions: to grow biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, in a nutrient substance in specially controlled conditions, for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

2. agriculture cultivate: to cultivate plants or crops

[13th century. Via French from Latin cultura tillage, from cult , the past participle stem of colere to inhabit, cultivate, worship. Originally in Englishpiece of tilled land.]

Comment

Working...
                  X