No announcement yet.

The ivory tower intellectual vs the man on the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You get in, follow a plan, and after the predetermined time you go out with a degree. I know it's a caricature, but with a kernel of truth. "non-traditional" students my not fit in that well.

The original point referred to faculty though I think and I have no idea whether it is correct, and if so why it would be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roland
      You get in, follow a plan, and after the predetermined time you go out with a degree. I know it's a caricature, but with a kernel of truth. "non-traditional" students my not fit in that well.

The original point referred to faculty though I think and I have no idea whether it is correct, and if so why it would be the case.
      I can see why the schools might not like older students when they aren't having a problem filling all of their slots for students They probably are more likely to be critical of the value they are getting for their money, and more demanding (of reasonable things) in general as befits adults. Kids who have only known school are more likely to remain in awe / fear of their instructors, and have no particular basis for complaining about the applicability of a course to the real world, or to challenge the assumptions of their instructors with their real world experiences.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Non-traditional students often study in a different way than those fresh from highschool. I'm glad to have them in classes, cause the "fresh" ones are so dull and authority-fearing....

Comment

• I was kind of stunned by the "logic" of it (having been a non-traditional student myself) but Sikanders and Rolands comments make sense.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
          X