No announcement yet.

Time to pack the cop repellant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or that time when we were screaming abuses at the annual march against the US embassy... ah those were the times (I only went once but i liked it). then we went to goody's and ate hamburgers. some cool revolutionaries we were

or that other time when the anarchists had taken over the polytechnic..

full volume heavy metal, booze and burning up the greek flag. and protected from the cops by the academic asylum.

if that's not partying i dont know what it is. saw it from TV, wasnt there (and wouldnt want to either). the journalists lynched them in the media.

chaos anarchy disorder. it was good, while it lasted. shocked society. how dare they burn the flag the little pr!cks and all that.
    Last edited by Bereta_Eder; September 27, 2002, 00:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
      Instead, you should organize lectures, run ads, publish magazines.
      Why do you think it's one or the other? Demonstrations are a way of "showing the fleet," so to speak. People get interested in the demo, check it out, and start trying to educate themselves--if they're serious.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I convinced some bitter old man of the utility of unions at a big street rally near a McDonald's that was trying to organise...

I practically had him hoisting the bloody red flag by the time I was done. It was beautiful...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

which raised an interesting discussion.

first it should be assertained if burning up the flag was a punishable offence or not.

there is a law protecting "symbols" so it could be.

the old war veterans said we gave our blood for that flag and now those brats who live off the prosperity we made so many sacrifices to guarantee burn the flag up?

but the supporting side argued that the kids by burning the flag were expressing their "disownment of everything which is bad in the country"

i think it is a healthy reaction not to prosecute but then again i can see people getting offended by it.

Comment

These protests have been successful in raising public awareness of the issuess.

This thread demonstrates this fact.

While some people respond to protests by just saying they're just a bunch of thugs, most people will naturally wonder why the protesters are upset.

The protests have also led the mainstream media to examine the issue of globalization, loss of soverignty, etc.

A couple of years ago, there was a summit in Quebec City. Newspapers, such as the Globe and Mail, published articles about the protesters' concern. Many of the Globe's columnists wrote articles saying the concerns were valid.

None of that would have happened without the protests.

Sirotnikov suggests the lectures should be organized. That is already being done, but the lectures only reach a small audience and rarely get covered by the mainstream media (and that's true for most lectures).

Buying ads costs money and the protesters generally don't have access to that kind of dough.

Magazines are published, but they tend to be bought by the converted.

Protests are the best way to raise these issues.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

it has come to a point where there is a amrch and noone knows or cares what its about.
              they only get pissed because of the stopped traffic.

IMHO it has come to a point where marches are good if they are massive, popular, big.

i'm pretty sure that some strategically placed in the city small posters would inform more people than what a tiny march would.

Comment

look at it this way.

after the G7 in italy the people made those bastards go to some mountains in the middle of nowhere in canada to have their stinking meeting.

that's success my friends. and humiliation.

Comment

Demonstrations are a way of "showing the fleet," so to speak. People get interested in the demo, check it out, and start trying to educate themselves--if they're serious.

Demonstrations turn into riots and riots make people not want to associate with you.

The first thing that comes up when a regular jo thinks about anti-globalization protest, is not their messages, but the fact that they are hoodlams and property wreckers.

Comment

Regular joes aren't going to be influenced by teach-ins and magazines either. They won't change until the world changes on them. It's always a bad idea to wait until that happenes to do anything. It leaves the emerging movement weak and without experience or leadership. Then we get crushed by the fascists.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The problem with the globalization movement is that it consists of a wide coalition of different beliefs and agendas. And only a very minor portion of the movement is being exaggerated and misrepresenting us, namely the protectionists and the destruction-is-good type folk.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider

I simply must add that to my sig Sik, I just can't resist it. Thanks for the memorable quote.
                        Thanks for accepting in the spirit is was offered!
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Pure spite?
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            These protests have been successful in raising public awareness of the issuess.

This thread demonstrates this fact.
                            Yes, indeed, because we all know without these protests most people on Apolyton wouldn't know about the IMF, and now most people on Apolyton think the IMF is evil.

oh conflicting emotions
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                              In other words, I want my government to be able to take IBM to court because it moves jobs away because it pays workers in ****hole X less than it does here.
                              In other words, workers have a legal right to jobs with this company, on current terms, in perpetuity, and regardless of other conditions? How would India, a developing country with a large software industry, feel about this?
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

It sounds like he's making a balance of power argument.

A weak argument, even if it is an interesting concept.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X