Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Just In: Iraq Concedes to Inspections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Che:

The KDP and PUK are very different from the PKK. Both are much more clan based and nationalist and I've never heard anyone claiming they're Maoist. Even the PKK's mangled ideology is a homebrewn weirdo leftism.

Where do you get the idea ?

MtG:

"I think the "personal" aspect is that Bush and Cheney in particular see red whenever they think of Saddam"

Cheney is a total nutcase. Bush... maybe. Still wouldn't understand why he should be emotional about that.

"That's a pretty good start. Add to that his penchant for invading neighbors who piss him off.... Above all else, it's a competition for influence."

You think there is a wider plan to strategically control the region ? I'm having my doubts, mostly because of the notorious shorttermism in US foreign policy.

"I think the people least likely to be pissed would be the Iraqis, but that would really depend on how the US handles nation building and civil affairs in an occupied Iraq."

I think that will be one big mess. There are lots of unsettled scores, there is no clear contender for power, there is barely a groundwork for democracy, and the Bushies will likely install some military guy as dictator with some pseudodemocratic poopoo around him. Even then there's a likely need for occupation to hold the **** together. After a while everyone and his dog will hate the american occupation troops. And your puppet will try cutting the strings. Back to start.

"An "ill-prepared" attack with what's in place now, and about to show up on exercises, could make significant headway... the stall in the attack would not serve the US interests."

One problem is the stall, the other is possible ugly surprises.

"I don't see it though in the present state of the US economy."

I was more thinking about the iraqi oil deals and development projects, like those the Russians have been after so eagerly, and reconstruction in general, like the Kuwaiti deals.

Comment

• Roland, after witnessing the debacle of the German elections where Bush-bashing became national policy, I no longer consider Bush-bashing by Europeans something we American should simply ignore. It already has caused serious damage to Germany's relations with the United States and perhaps a number of European nations.

I can tell you that it is not Bush and his administration alone who feel strongly on this issue. There is a great deal of anti-German anger in America right now.

I suggest you discuss policy without the insults.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• 1. You don't have a freakin' clue what happened in the elections.
        2. "Serious damage" - absolutely ridiculous.
        3. I'm quite sure most Americans don't give a rat's ass about it, just as most Europeans don't give a flying **** about US politicians insulting us.
        4. I'll insult any and every politician I choose to insult.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roland
          1. You don't have a freakin' clue what happened in the elections.
          2. "Serious damage" - absolutely ridiculous.
          3. I'm quite sure most Americans don't give a rat's ass about it, just as most Europeans don't give a flying **** about US politicians insulting us.
          4. I'll insult any and every politician I choose to insult.
          You haven't seen the news discussion programs or listen to talk radio in the United States as I have. Most Americans want the government to retaliate in some form.

You can insult whom you please, just as can I. However, when government officials do it, it can lead to disruption of diplomatic relations or worse.

Moreover, throughout that last two years all we have heard is that America has gone unilateral. Well, American has not on the issue of Iraq, but Germany certainly has.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• "You haven't seen the news discussion programs or listen to talk radio in the United States as I have."

I've seen some of the news. Just the usual jingoism there.

"Most Americans want the government to retaliate in some form."

Fine with me. Let Ashcroft say that Schröder wants to detract from domestic problems, and Hitler did that too.

"Well, American has not on the issue of Iraq, but Germany certainly has."

The US made a half-assed attempt to stay within international law, with the qualifier "we don't really care anyway".

How Germany went unilateral on Iraq is beyond me. It may be explicable from you watching too much Fox "news".

Comment

• Originally posted by Roland

How Germany went unilateral on Iraq is beyond me. It may be explicable from you watching too much Fox "news".
              It is my understanding the Herr Schroeder will not support the UN if it calls for military action against Iraq.

Comment

• The US wil lalso not heed a call by the SC. All it wants is the SC to authorize action. And no one is under any obligaton to take part in an SC authorized operation. Otherwise Switzerland might have some neutrality problems....

Comment

• Yeah, but it will be strange if all our other allies help in even a small way and Germany, by itself, sits on its hands.

Comment

• The US will get the overflight rights, and if there is a SC mandate there is a good chance that the Fuchs will stay in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X