Homosexuality and the Bible - Thumpers welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homosexuality and the Bible - Thumpers welcome

I'm not going to have this as a troll, like it will most likely turn out to be, but here goes.

I've been reading my Bible a lot closer lately, and nowhere in there does it say OR allude to Sodom and Gomorrah as being destroyed for pervasive homosexuality. It is not mentioned directly, and as far as I can see (in TWO versions), there is no allusion to indicate that the destruction took place due to men having sex with men.

Could you please explain to me why, then, it is so widely interpretted this way be fundamentalist christians, and even some moderates?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

People will get out of it what they want. The Bible was written by many different people over time - and they will have put their own agendas in.

I know that in the New Testament Jesus never mentions homosexuality.

Comment

I think we scared away most of the bible thumper's. Hold on, I know another forum filled with thumper kin, I'll post the question there and see what sort of response I get.
      ku eshte shpata eshte feja
      Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

I've heard enough on this topic today, thank you...

(See my thread for further details.)
        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

IMO, the New Testament is what one should be going by.
          According to the teachings, Jesus died for our sins.
          IF, in fact, one considers homosexuality to be a sin, it's forgiven if you have faith.

That's my opinion, which is what was solicited. Opinions.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My question (though I know Jesus never mentions it) is really about Sodom and Gomorrah
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

People will get out of it what they want.

Thats the crux of the arguement in 9 words.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Was Sodom and Gomorrah in the Old Testament?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Even some Fundies I know say that the moral of the Soddom story is not to be inhospitable to guests. They get the anti-homosexual agenda off of some other part of the bible if I remember correctly, but I honestly don't remember where.
                  ku eshte shpata eshte feja
                  Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

I've been reading my Bible a lot closer lately, and nowhere in there does it say OR allude to Sodom and Gomorrah as being destroyed for pervasive homosexuality. It is not mentioned directly, and as far as I can see (in TWO versions), there is no allusion to indicate that the destruction took place due to men having sex with men.
                    It depends on the translation for one thing. I remember having a discsusion about Sodom and Gomorrah and looking at it and wondering what was wrong with the locals wanting to know the strangers. Sure is funny how 'know' really meant homosexual rape. The KJV kind of took the meaning out of it.

KJV
                    Gen 19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where [are] the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

Catch is that even when I look up that verse in a concordance its still not clear that they aren't just being neighborly.

that we may know them = one single word in hebrew - yada`

Which has a horde of meanings and it looks some came from translators guessing from context.

03045 yada` {yaw-dah'}

a primitive root; TWOT - 848; v

AV - know 645, known 105, knowledge 19, perceive 18, shew 17, tell 8,
                    wist 7, understand 7, certainly 7, acknowledge 6, acquaintance 6,
                    consider 6, declare 6, teach 5, misc 85; 947

1) to know
                    1a) (Qal)
                    1a1) to know
                    1a1a) to know, learn to know

1a1b) to perceive
                    1a1c) to perceive and see, find out and discern
                    1a1d) to discriminate, distinguish
                    1a1e) to know by experience
                    1a1f) to recognise, admit, acknowledge, confess
                    1a1g) to consider
                    1a2) to know, be acquainted with
                    1a3) to know (a person carnally)
                    1a4) to know how, be skilful in
                    1a5) to have knowledge, be wise
                    1b) (Niphal)
                    1b1) to be made known, be or become known, be revealed
                    1b2) to make oneself known
                    1b3) to be perceived
                    1b4) to be instructed
                    1c) (Piel) to cause to know
                    1d) (Poal) to cause to know

1e) (Pual)
                    1e1) to be known
                    1e2) known, one known, acquaintance (participle)
                    1f) (Hiphil) to make known, declare
                    1g) (Hophal) to be made known
                    1h) (Hithpael) to make oneself known, reveal oneself

Only 1a3 fits the homosexual rape theme that is root of this and I would not be surprised if 1a3 is based on the passage and not some other source.

I think this part has something to do with the interpretation.

Gen 19:8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as [is] good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

Some think its a matter of hospitality and not sexual proclivities. I think its a story to try to put the blame for a disaster on the victims, assuming there was a disaster. A popular pastime. 'Ohhh something awfull happened. They must have done something to deserve it.'

Also there is chapter previous to that. I think it gets passed over because it contradicts other claims in the Bible so people tend to ignore it.

Gen 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

The contradiction is that Abram meets Jehovah face to face and other passages in the Bible claim that isn't possible.

I am know there are parts of the Bible that more clearly against homosexuality.

Comment

"Me wanna see them!"
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                        Only 1a3 fits the homosexual rape theme that is root of this and I would not be surprised if 1a3 is based on the passage and not some other source.
                        the bible at least uses this context over and over again

and it is what makes sense in the context of the story also

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

and it is what makes sense in the context of the story also

Jon Miller
                          I agreed with that. I am just thinking that the word may not have that meaning in anything outside the Bible considering how far down the list it was.

Comment

IF, in fact, one considers homosexuality to be a sin, it's forgiven if you have faith.
                            Well, yes that's true Slowwhand, but forgiveness does not mean one can keep on sinning. Thus, if we consider homosexuality to be a sin, one has to repent of their sin (and obviously make an effort not to sin) to be forgiven.

As another example, murder is a sin, but that doesn't mean that someone can murder someone, ask for forgiveness, and then keep on murdering people on the basis he is forgiven.

I'm not saying that homosexuality is a sin - there are parts of the Bible that strongly suggest homosexuality is a sin, but those are mainly Old Testament law, if I recall correctly, and OT law applied only to Jews before Christ came. But in any case, there are a number of logical contradictions that crop up if you say homosexuality is a sin For example, it's true that one cannot really help who they are attracted to, so therefore being attracted to someone is natural, therefore if a man is attracted to a man it is natural, and it's hard for me to see how God can create someone a certain way, and for them to feel a certain way as a result of that creation, and for those thoughts to be sinful.

But anyway, I'm not gonna say one way or another, only that I don't really care, homosexuality doesn't bother me at all, and it's none of my business.
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

you thump your bible and I'll thump mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X