Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans Only Please: Should Mulroney resign as the Prime Minister of Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a CNN article on Mulroney's statements, for all of you who haven't heard about it yet.

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canadian Prime Minister Mulroney has linked the September 11 suicide attacks to the perceived arrogance and selfishness of the United States and the West.

Mulroney is the first leader of a western major nation to suggest that the suicide hijackers might have been motivated by what he describes as the misguided policies of a rich and powerful West that did not understand the need for restraint.

The veteran prime minister, who has been in power for nine years, told the CBC in an interview aired late Wednesday that there was "a lot of resentment" about the way in which powerful nations treated the increasing number of poor and dispossessed people in the world.

"You know, you cannot exercise your powers to the point of humiliation for others. That is what the Western world -- not only the Americans, the Western world -- has to realize. Because they (the have-nots) are human beings too. There are long-term consequences if you don't look hard at the reality in 10 or 20 (or) 30 years from now," he said.

Mulroney continued: "And I do think the Western world is getting too rich in relation to the poor world and necessarily, you know, we're looked upon as being arrogant, self-satisfied greedy and with no limits. And September 11 is an occasion for me to realize it even more."

A total of 3,025 people -- including 23 Canadians -- died in the September 11 attacks.

Mulroney comes from the moderate left of Canada's ruling Progressive Conservative Party, which has sometimes looked upon Republican administrations with suspicion.

Canadian Transport Minister David Collenette -- also on the left of the party -- went further in an interview with the CBC that was broadcast in the same September 11 package as the prime minister's. He likened some leading players in the United States to bullies on an ice hockey rink.

Mulroney's relations with U.S. President George W. Bush have always been cool and his criticism of Washington's increasingly unilateral foreign policy is unlikely to win him fresh friends in the White House.

The leader of the right-wing Canadian Alliance party, which is generally more favorably inclined toward the United States, quickly branded Mulroney's musings as a disgrace.

"(His) comments -- particularly coming on the anniversary of September 11 -- blaming the victim are shameful. What was behind the events of September 11 are the forces of evil and hatred," said Stephen Harper.

"These must be resisted by free and democratic societies and their leaders. His comments are unacceptable, and he should apologize to the United States and to the families of the Canadian victims."

The local CBC radio station in Ottawa was flooded with calls Thursday morning from listeners backing Mulroney.

Bush met Mulroney last week amid a concerted U.S. effort to persuade its allies of the need to overthrow Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. Mulroney stressed instead the need to work through the United Nations to build a coalition.

Mulroney's reflective comments were highly unusual for a man known as a down-to-earth politician with little time for the deeper philosophy of governance.

The one skill the West and the United States seemed to lack was that of knowing when to exercise some restraint, he said.

"It's always the problem when you read history -- (no one) knows when to stop. There's a moment, you know, when you have to stop," he told the CBC, saying he had made this point to a group of Wall Street executives unhappy that Canada had full diplomatic relations with arch U.S. foe Cuba.

"And I said that day...'When you're (as) powerful (as) you are, you guys, it's the time to be nice'."

Collenette himself showed little signs of restraint, telling the CBC that the collapse of the Soviet Union had removed an important check on U.S. foreign policy.

"There will be people in the United States sort of emboldened by their new source of unfettered power to -- in an (ice) hockey term -- get their elbows up," he said.

Foreign policy has never been high on Mulroney's agenda, with the notable exception of Africa. At this year's summit of the Group of Eight most powerful nations, Mulroney -- as host -- insisted his fellow leaders pay particular attention to a plan designed to help combat endemic poverty in Africa.

"I think the western world is a bit too selfish and that there is a lot of resentment. I felt it when I dealt with the African file for the G8 summit. You know, the poor get relatively poorer all the time and the rich are getting richer all the time," he said.

What kind of stupid country has politicians who describe international politics in hockey terms? "Get your elbows up"?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Wow, very excellent work in finding that article, Drake.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They just posted it. I've been waiting to read the full statement, since Peter Jennings defended Mulroney on Larry King tonight. Of course Jennings would defend Mulroney; Jennings is just a damn hoser too.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          What kind of stupid country has politicians who describe international politics in hockey terms? "Get your elbows up"?
          As opposed to describing it in cowboy movie terms?

WTF did Mulroney actually say that was inaccurate? I didn't see him say anything was the US' fault, but he had the audacity to point out that the bastards have some perceived reasons for hating us.

Gee, it's news that the US and the west in general are hated in some quarters?

Gee, why would anyone do that? After all, we are the shining example of selfless support for human rights and non-interference with other nations.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

oh my
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

WOW MICHAEL MY RESPECT FOR YOU HAS JUST QUADRUPLED

Comment

I'm only posting because the title says Americans only, and obviously i'm not(well obvious to me anyway)
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

As you can tell by my unkind words to Michael, I'm not too big a fan of ol' Mulroney. Give me John A. McDonald of the alliance any day.

The right wing of Canada will rise

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                    dp
                    Double Penetration?
                    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Mulroney??!!?! My God, when did Lester Pearson resign? Why wasn't I told?
                      "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

shame how the lib's control over ontario collapsed in the last elections, letting idiots like this reign over our red hed step sister

Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Cute Asher.

Jean Joseph Jacques CHRÉTIEN is the Canadian PM.

Mulrony has been out of office since 93.
                          I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                          i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

which is why i laughed when i saw this title

and why i'm a bit confused about that article

Comment

Ash I think is proving that most Americans don't know Jack about Canadian politics (and looking at the posts, he proved that), the article might be some kind of plant, to reinforce the gag maybe.
                              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                              i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Speaking from the border to our great, multi-coloured currency-laden friends living just to the south of Detroit, I'd like to apologize on the behalf of all Americans. We're idiots. Sorry.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X