Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many planets would we need if everyone on Earth lived like you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If everyone lived like you, we would need 1.3 planets.

Category
    global hectares

Food 1.3

Mobility 0

Shelter 0.6

Goods/Services 0.4

Total Footprint 2.3

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Food 2

Mobility 0.3

Shelter 7.3

Goods/Services 5.2

Total Footprint 14.8
      In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 9.7 global hectares per person.

I think I'm being penalized pretty heavily for a few assumptions that aren't true. I'm getting killed on the shelter, but perhaps that is in part because I don't have a roommate at the moment. I don't even have air conditioning, and I built my house so efficiently that the starter on my furnace broke a few years ago and I didn't bother to fix it for 2 years (after my GF insisted). My house eats up solar heat through it's 6 large south facing windows, and doesn't give it back easily.

I don't have a car, I walk or bus to work. I also mainly save my money, I have no debts. Much of what I buy is intellectual property like software and books. I can't stand cheaply made stuff, and pay more for things that will last. I do eat meat almost every day though, and fly a couple of times a year.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

There are people who get less than a planet, but this is shown only if you divide the footprint with 1.8

I did the test as an under 13yo Ethiopian girl that lives in a village in a under 20sqm shack with 7 or more people, no water, no electricity, easting only homegrown veggies, using only animal transport, blah blah and here it is:

Food 0.2
        Mobility 0
        Shelter 0.5
        Goods/Services 0.2
        Total Footprint 0.9

Ethiopian avg:0.8

I am amazed at the importance of shelter. A person who has less than 3sqm of his own is taking less space than the average animal. Perhaps it's the village thing. I'll try to move to Addis Abeba next time...
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

I moved the girl to Bangalore, India and it got even less:

Food 0.2
          Mobility 0
          Shelter 0.4
          Goods/Services 0.1
          Total Footprint 0.7

Indian avg 0.8

This is between 1/3 and 1/2 of a planet.
          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
          George Orwell

Comment

If everyone lived like you, we would need 2.3 planets.

Hectares:
            Food 1.3
            Mobility 0.8
            Shelter 0.8
            Goods/Services 1.2
            Total Footprint 4.1
            In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 5.3 global hectares per person.
            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I'd need 12.1 planets.

And damn proud of it!

It doesn't matter, because it all averages out due to starving people and stuff I would think, so I'm not worried.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                I'd need 12.1 planets.

And damn proud of it!

It doesn't matter, because it all averages out due to starving people and stuff I would think, so I'm not worried.
                I hope to God that's a troll, because if it isn't then you are quite possibly the single most heartless unethical person I've ever met....
                "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Yes, it's mostly a troll, but my point is, like most other Americans, I'm not going to change my standard of living because of some shock value statistic about how many planets we need.
                  Looking at it another way, I'm richer than people in Africa or the Amazon basin, so of course I have a car, of course I don't take public transportation, and of course I eat better. If I wanted to live like people without those things, I'd move to a country like Namibia or Cambodia or someplace.

Oh, and my total footprint was like 21 or something.
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, it's mostly a troll, but my point is, like most other Americans, I'm not going to change my standard of living because of some shock value statistic about how many planets we need.
                    Looking at it another way, I'm richer than people in Africa or the Amazon basin, so of course I have a car, of course I don't take public transportation, and of course I eat better. If I wanted to live like people without those things, I'd move to a country like Namibia or Cambodia or someplace.

Oh, and my total footprint was like 21 or something.
                    In one sense, thank goodness for that. I agree it's unlikely that people are going to start living like hermits just because they've been told they're using up too many resources. Human selfishness, unfortunately, leads the rich to want to stay rich and keep their lifestyles as they are.

It's an interesting question as to whether human selfishness is inherent or learned. I'd kill to find out...

Comment

Human selfishness, unfortunately, leads the rich to want to stay rich and keep their lifestyles as they are.
                      Exactly. Why in hell would I decide to starve, or get sick of malnutrition, just because someone tells me I'm hurting "the environment"? That's what environmentalists don't get - no one really cares, at least not in the US.

Comment

Exactly. Why in hell would I decide to starve, or get sick of malnutrition, just because someone tells me I'm hurting "the environment"? That's what environmentalists don't get - no one really cares, at least not in the US.
                        Enviromentalists care.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

But if you were asked to do something sensible and not extreme, would your reaction still be the same? America is very 'onward and upward at anyone else's expense' and that's what I dislike about it... Moderation would be nice

Comment

Osweld,

Enviromentalists care.
                            And how many of those do you think are in the US? Not all that many

CS,

But if you were asked to do something sensible and not extreme, would your reaction still be the same? America is very 'onward and upward at anyone else's expense' and that's what I dislike about it... Moderation would be nice
                            Well, I would have no problem recycling, if a box was delivered to my doorstep and picked up from my doorstep.
                            On the other hand, I would not cut down on food consumption or car use or 15 minute showers or anything of the sort.

Comment

Well, I would have no problem recycling, if a box was delivered to my doorstep and picked up from my doorstep.
                              On the other hand, I would not cut down on food consumption or car use or 15 minute showers or anything of the sort.
                              Uh oh. I can see myself descending into bleeding-heart environmentalism, which will make me nauseous and certainly not endear myself to you I'm just curious as to whether you intend at some point in the future to have children, and if so what sort of world you'd like them to live in.

Comment

There must be loads of Vegans on Apolyton...

If everyone lived like you, we would need 2.4 planets.

Food 2.4

Mobility 0.5

Shelter 0.6

Goods/Services 0.8

Total Footprint 4.3

In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 7.6 global hectares per person.

Australia. Wow, I got whacked on the food despite not eating much processed/packaged foods and eat a lot less meat these days?

Mobility - I live a ten minute walk from the centre of town, my job is a nice twenty minute walk to the CBD. Occasionally I take a ferry or a bus when I'm visiting an attraction - less than once or twice a week though.

OK, so the test is wonky - hopefully it gets you thinking!

Malaysia is quite a developed country BTW - not exactly a good country to try getting a low score...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X