Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many planets would we need if everyone on Earth lived like you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monk, didn't expect you to use chemical terms. The correct chemical term is a 'stable steady-state'. Yes, if your body reaches equilibrium that means you are dead. But if your body goes to far from the stable steady-state, you also die. Examples of this would be deficiency in trace elements, overexposure to CO2, dehydration, etc.

You see, a stable steady state is selfcorrecting if the preturbations are small. Your body can deal with minor changes in your environment. But if the changes are to big, the situation goes outside of the stabe steady state region, and the system goes amock.

(Incidentally, this is exactly what happens when chemical reactors blow up. One of the most important tasks when building a reactor is to figure out in what region stable steady state is reached, as one cannot do it evolutionary... Would take too many reactors.)

The global environment follows the same priniciple. A small change is selfcorrecting. A big change, however, such as a dinosaur killer, cannot be corrected for, and global parameters will change enough to the more vulnerable life forms to die.

I don't quite undertsand your last paragraph. Are you claiming that we shouldn't worry about global warming because even though humanity dies out, cockroaches will survive? Interesting... Well, I guess that makes me a stinking humanity-lover, as I'd prefer humanity and civilization to survive...
    Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by Illyrien
      The more CO2 in the atmosphere, the better plants grow...ofcause enough CO2 would kill all animals so we should release too much.

I think it is good for life on this planet that we humans stepped in to release CO2, as the world CO2 level has been droping since the world was formed (more or less). If we allowed the CO2 level to reach 0 all plant life (that uses CO2, which is just about everything) would perish, just as we would die if there wasnt any oxygen.

You cant just argue that CO2 is EVIL! there is more sides to this debate then that.
      Um -- humans did not need to intervene to improve a process that was already working for millions of years naturally, on Earth.

If CO2 would reach zero without human contribution, the planet would never have been able to sustain plant life in the millions of years before humans came into existence.

Just because it has been dropping, does not mean that
      it cannot level out later, and thus, preventing natural depletion.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Hey I am not bad

If everyone lived like you, we would need 1.7 planets.

Category
        global hectares

Food 1.3

Mobility 0.5

Shelter 0.5

Goods/Services 0.8

Total Footprint 3.1
        In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 5.3 global hectares per person.

The only thing is that my eating habits made it even worse *suprise * suprise*
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Whoo-hoo!!

5 Planets! Beat that!

Food: 2.8
          Mobility: 1
          Shelter: 1.9
          Goods: 3.3

Total: 9 hectares

What do I win?

Comment

• Damn... should read these threads before I respond. Wtg, Imran!

Comment

• Actually, I beat Imran - I have 12.1 planets...and Higgs takes up 25, although methinks he doctored his results a tad
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• 6 planets.

When I did the test again and said I was from Peru, entered the exact same information, I got 1,1 planets!
                Why??

This test is bull**** I tell you
                CSPA

Comment

• No Lithuania option in poll = screw poll. Zero planets, I don't exist.
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• what do they mean by "footprint"
                    CSPA

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                      Life on this planet has survived catastrophes magnatudes greater than being inflicted with us.
                      To be honest, I'm less concerned with life on Earth (which will surivive, regardless of what we do) than I am with the survival of human civilization. On a planet where the explosion of one particular volcano has brought down civilizations worldwide, we ought to be pretty damn careful what we do to the environment.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Che,

Comment

• With 6 billion hairless monkeys running around civilization's survive is more then assured. we are like a new breed of cockroach; even an nuclear war couldn't wipe us out. In a worse case senario global warming would only be a catastrophy but not a life threat to civilization.

BTW Global warming is more or less bunk; if we warm to much then the global ice caps will begin to melt and flood the oceans with cold fresh water. Since salty water is more dense we will experience a change in ocean currents. Currents like the Gulf Stream would shut down and the result would be a massive temperature drop for Europe and eastern North America.

Global warming causes global ice age. Simple enough, huh?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Oerding, not familiar with thermodynamics, are we?

CO2 causes global warming because of the greenhouse effect. The CO2 bounces radiation from the sun back onto earth, instead of radiating out into the universe. The net effect is the same as in a greenhouse: higher temperature.

You can rearrange all the streams you want, if you don't reduce the CO2 levels you won't reduce the temperature.

(and I won't even go into statements like 'if we warm to much then the global ice caps will begin to melt and flood the oceans with cold fresh water. Since salty water is more dense we will experience a change in ocean currents.' What on earth makes you think the freshwater will stay fresh? Ever heard of diffusion?)

Finally, I read somewhere that if civilization collapses it will take a LONG time before it resurfaces, mainly because we've used up all easily accessible raw material. Basing a civlization on wood and bone isn't all that easy...

Out of curiosity, who told you that global warming is more or less bunk? Whoever it was, you'd be doing him/her a favor by enrolling him/her in any high school science class.

Comment

Working...
                            X