Alberta fumes over Chretien's promise to ratify Kyoto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackice
    Speaking of irrational, how do you blame say my aunt here. She has voted pc all her life. She is Canadian and loves the counrty. She hates the governments but loves her country. This goes over most of your very few Alberta hate Canada groups heads.
    When the hell did I blame your aunt, or blame any individual Canadian at all? What are you on?

Don't let this tidbit of information fool you. The link explains why the tarsands may not go forward. Man I hate half a story being passed of like Asher just did as the whole story.
    Interesting enough in 1997 everyone knew it was comming. Klein passes a weak not enforced, leave it up to the industry as we are reaping in the rewards anti pollution act. Now he whines give it up Ralph you flake.
    If he was not out drinking and playing golf with his buddy's he may have actually done something.
    Um, no, I think you're having trouble comprehending.
    There are still plans to develop the rest of the tarsands, in fact the new upgrader design has been approved, and they're in negotiation now for the materials and labour needed to begin construction. But if Kyoto is passed, they're putting this on indefinite hold due to economic uncertainty -- investors don't like spending $40B in an area where we don't know what will happen.

energy efficiency - Energy efficient producers will protect themselves from environmental opponents and lower their vulnerability to pressures for further emissions reductions. We note that the oil sands industry has been among the leaders in Canadian industry in seeking to voluntarily reduce emissions.

That line should be of great interest to you Asher, it shows how full of chit you really are...Hey and guess what people the fvcking Alberta government published this piece of work in 1998. Just goes to show you how full of Chit Klein is and how gulible some people really are.
    What the HELL are you talking about? It backs up EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID.

Look at it, it tells you right away the industry in Alberta has voluntarily been reducing emissions for years -- THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING.

You and Tingkai have been the ones saying no one in Alberta cares for the environment, you and Tingkai have been the ones saying that we NEED Kyoto to reduce emissions.

You provided a quote which backed up my opinion then said I was full of **** with it? Are you forgetting which side of the debate you're on, blackice?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Keep posting Asher. Everytime you do, you dig yourself deeper into the ground by exposing your own lies, misconceptions and scaremongering. It certainly is amusing, although doesn't it bother you that you get things wrong all the time?

Later days.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

• Alberta plans first strike
        Tories ready to beat feds to the punch

Tom Olsen
        Calgary Herald

Thursday, September 05, 2002

Alberta is readying legislation that will outline the pro-vince's strategy on global warming, in the process stressing its commitment to the environment and pre-empting any laws springing from Ottawa's commitment to the Kyoto accord.

Work is in the early stages, but the legislation is being hammered out with input from a multitude of departments, including environment, energy, sustainable resource development and transportation.

Discussions will be held over whether it should include specific targets for emissions reductions, and whether there should be punitive measures for companies that fall short. Early indications are the law will include a strong focus on developing technology for cleaner burning energy, including more sterile ways of using coal.

The province is expected to move toward more incentive-based ways of convincing industry to develop environmentally friendly methods of operating.

Officials from the environment and energy departments are reportedly crafting the legislation. It's intended to be ready for the fall session, typically held in late October or November.

Alberta Environment Minister Lorne Taylor was travelling from South Africa on Wednesday and couldn't be reached for comment.

Taylor is an advocate of funnelling money into producing ways of using energy with a minimum of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere.

One of the minister's main points of contention with the Kyoto accord is the proposed trading of emissions credits. Nations would receive credits for meeting or exceeding targets, and could sell them to countries that fall short.

Taylor insists that amounts to a transfer of money, with no real decrease in CO2. He proposes money that would be spent on credits go into research.

Alberta Economic Development Minister Mark Norris argued Ottawa won't win its demand to be credited for clean energy exports, so it should forget about Kyoto and embrace Alberta's plan as a starting point for a made-in-Canada solution to global warming.

The Alberta plan commits millions to research, with estimates of up to $500 million over 15 years.

As cleaner-burning energy processes evolve, specific economic sectors -- electricity, oil and gas, transportation, municipalities -- will be urged to sign on to specific reduction targets.

The Kyoto protocol seeks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to six per cent below 1990 levels by 2012.

Chretien enraged the Alberta government when he used a speech in South Africa on Monday to pledge a Commons ratification vote by the end of the year.

Premier Ralph Klein accused Chretien of smashing a promise by committing to hold a ratification vote before convening a first ministers' meeting.

The province has put into place a strategy to harness the voices of all Kyoto dissenters, including business leaders, politicians and industrial associations, in hopes of convincing the prime minister to back off.

If that doesn't work, Plan B calls for a full-scale challenge under the Constitution.

Michael Ritter, former chief parliamentary counsel to the Alberta legislature, said the province likely wouldn't win its challenge.

"My own opinion is they probably wouldn't prevail, but there are a lot of issues the province can raise that are quite legitimate," Ritter said.

Confusion exists over authority regarding resource development, which is a provincial matter, and shared jurisdiction over the environment.

At the end of the day, the Kyoto accord would likely be placed in the environmental category, he said.

Alberta on Wednesday gained the support of Newfoundland and Labrador in opposing ratification of the Kyoto treaty.

Premier Roger Grimes said his province, expected to produce one-third of Canada's light crude oil by next year, will pay a high price in terms of jobs and economic opportunities if the pact is ratified as is.

The Canadian Alliance also lent its support to Alberta.

"I certainly will support whatever Premier (Ralph) Klein does to stop the agreement because I think it is a bad agreement for the country," Alliance Leader Stephen Harper said during the first day of a caucus retreat on Wednesday.

"I don't think (the federal government) will have the guts to implement it because it will have a severe impact on the economy and ordinary people coast to coast."
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai

Keep posting Asher. Everytime you do, you dig yourself deeper into the ground by exposing your own lies, misconceptions and scaremongering. It certainly is amusing, although doesn't it bother you that you get things wrong all the time?
          Both you and blackice have posted nothing but rhetoric.

And when confronted with real evidence, logic, and even common sense you back down and resort to lots of to hide your stupidity.

Very transparant, Tingkai.

Comment

• I was going to sign off, but that Calgary Herald article is hilarious. What an outstanding piece of journalism. Did you see how the reporter included both sides of the story by quoting people in support of Kyoto. No? Ah, that was missing wasn't it.

A lovely piece of Alberta government propaganda.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

• Sure Asher Time to give it up, read the article before you make a fool of yourself. Unreal I wouls suggest everyone save a link to that site and a few more I have. Klein will most certainly want these things pulled. It makes him look like the idiot he is, the most damning is in hansards. Ten bucks says when Klein really starts to whine that pollitically savvy Cretien will toss this stuff out for the media to feed on.

Klein will be doing the eat dog doo dance. It will look good on him and sink any chance of a CA win. Done deal.
              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
              Or do we?

Comment

• Tingkai, you do know that CanWest Global owns the Calgary Herald, which is headed up by the family friend of Chretien?

It's wonderful when you dismiss everything that disagrees with you as propaganda, isn't it? Sure makes thing easier, doesn't it?

Comment

Sure Asher Time to give it up, read the article before you make a fool of yourself. Unreal I wouls suggest everyone save a link to that site and a few more I have. Klein will most certainly want these things pulled. It makes him look like the idiot he is, the most damning is in hansards. Ten bucks says when Klein reallyu starts to whine that pollitically savy Cretien will toss this stuff out for the media to feed on.

Klein will be doing the eat dog doo dance. It will look good on him and sink any chance of a CA win. Done deal.
                  Klein seems to have done a good job. Canada apparently won't ratify Kyoto unless we get our clean energy exports counted. And as I'm sure you know, the Alberta government has no problem with Kyoto if they count those.

Why don't you just stop posting to argue with me and sit down a think for a bit.

Do you agree with:
                • How developing nations, which use old technology which is far less efficient, are exempt from Kyoto?
                • How countries can buy and sell energy credits from eachother?
                • How Canada doesn't get credit for our clean natural gas exports?
                • How Chretien has openly admitted to "ratify it first, worry about implementation later"?

If you answered no to any one of these, why are you still in favor of ratifying Kyoto? There are other ways we should persue to reducing emissions, Kyoto simply is not it.

End of story.

Comment

• We are, however, concerned with some of the provisions contained in energy legislation currently before Congress. Canada is bringing these concerns to the attention of American officials and I would like to share four of them with you now.

Canada is concerned that the Senate Democrats' new comprehensive energy bill provides the United States Federal Energy Regulatory Commission with the authority to develop-on its own-reliability standards that would apply to the interconnected North American grid.

Canada prefers an approach whereby reliability standards would be developed by an international self-regulating organization, preserving the authority of both American and Canadian regulatory bodies.

Indeed, bills recently introduced in the United States House of Representatives are generally more consistent with the approach preferred by Canada and enjoy wide support in the US industry.

Canada also has concerns about the Renewable Portfolio Standard in the Senate Democrats' bill. While we strongly favour the encouragement of renewable energy, we are concerned about renewable portfolio standards that recognize only US domestic renewable sources for credit and that discriminate against Canadian renewable energy sources. We are also concerned that the proposed Renewable Portfolio Standard in the bill arbitrarily excludes existing hydro as a renewable energy source.

Canada is route neutral when it comes to the construction of pipelines to transmit Alaskan natural gas from Prudhoe Bay south to the 48 states. We hold that commercial parties should determine the scope, time, and route of northern pipeline projects. We do not believe that financial assistance or new legislation is required or appropriate to determine what route any pipeline or pipelines should take.

This does not mean we are neutral as concerns Canadian interests. We wish to see our northern resources, including natural gas, developed in a timely and responsible fashion. We want to see our aboriginal peoples and other northern communities benefit from this development. Action is being taken to ensure regulatory and other processes are co-ordinated to provide project proponents a transparent and effective framework for approvals while ensuring environmental and other important objectives are met.

Canada is concerned that legislation now before Congress could negatively impact the consideration of viable projects prior to industry completing its assessments. We do not believe that this is how energy markets should function.

Last but not least, Canada is concerned about the American withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol. Nevertheless, we are eager to explore opportunities for cooperation on climate change when the broad outlines of the new American approach are announced.

Read it Asher...Again being a neighbor to them is like sleeping with an elephant.
                  “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                  Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                    We may need a second thread for this ... however, the quickly tap dancing feds stated today that their intent is to approve "a Canadian version of Kyoto". The weasels strike again !!!!!
                    Who's that? Never seen him before. An old timer too.

Hi. How ya doin? I'm fine.

These threads are something else though.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Article 24

1. This Protocol shall be open for signature and subject to ratification, acceptance or approval by States and regional economic integration organizations which are Parties to the Convention. It shall be open for signature at United Nations Headquarters in New York from

2. Any regional economic integration organization which becomes a Party to this Protocol without any of its member States being a Party shall be bound by all the obligations under this Protocol. In the case of such organizations, one or more of whose member States is a Party to this Protocol, the organization and its member States shall decide on their respective responsibilities for the performance of their obligations under this Protocol. In such cases, the organization and the member States shall not be entitled to exercise rights under this Protocol concurrently.

3. In their instruments of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession, regional economic integration organizations shall declare the extent of their competence with respect to the matters governed by this Protocol. These organizations shall also inform the Depositary, who shall in turn inform the Parties, of any substantial modification in the extent of their competence.

Article 25

1. This Protocol shall enter into force on the ninetieth day after the date on which not less than 55 Parties to the Convention, incorporating Parties included in Annex I which accounted in total for at least 55 per cent of the total carbon dioxide emissions for 1990 of the Parties included in Annex I, have deposited their instruments of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession.

2. For the purposes of this Article, "the total carbon dioxide emissions for 1990 of the Parties included in Annex I" means the amount communicated on or before the date of adoption of this Protocol by the Parties included in Annex I in their first national communications submitted in accordance with Article 12 of the Convention.

3. For each State or regional economic integration organization that ratifies, accepts or

approves this Protocol or accedes thereto after the conditions set out in paragraph 1 above for entry into force have been fulfilled, this Protocol shall enter into force on the ninetieth day following the date of deposit of its instrument of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession.

4. For the purposes of this Article, any instrument deposited by a regional economic

integration organization shall not be counted as additional to those deposited by States members of the organization.

Article 27

1. At any time after three years from the date on which this Protocol has entered into force for a Party, that Party may withdraw from this Protocol by giving written notification to the Depositary.

2. Any such withdrawal shall take effect upon expiry of one year from the date of receipt by the Depositary of the notification of withdrawal, or on such later date as may be specified in the notification of withdrawal.

3. Any Party that withdraws from the Convention shall be considered as also having withdrawn from this Protocol.

Thats why this post and the last...Man you need to read more.
                      Or do we?

Comment

Read it Asher...Again being a neighbor to them is like sleeping with an elephant.
                        I know I'm stupid, but could you take the time to explain to me why you decided to link to that article? I don't see a point to it, it seems kinda random to me, but surely you must have had a reason?

Thats why this post and the last...Man you need to read more.
                        Again this seems random? If you're trying to tell me I need to read the protocol, I've already read it and I'm wondering why you keep linking to it?

It's like you're oblivious to everything going on around you, you just pop your head up randomly, copy/paste some stuff from somewhere else that's not relevant, and it's a game of whack-o-mole from that point on with you...

Comment

• They are not the only ones saying this.
                          Or do we?

Comment

• Uh huh
                            Or do we?

Comment

Speaking of irrational, how do you blame say my aunt here. She has voted pc all her life. She is Canadian and loves the counrty. She hates the governments but loves her country. This goes over most of your very few Alberta hate Canada groups heads.
                              I admit. I am Evil incarnate. I live in Alberta. I think Ralph has done a good job of representing us. Sieg...

You however, remain a twit.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Working...
                                X