Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite classic board games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But having fewer cities just means you won't start out with bad calamities, you can still get traded them (except for non-tradables, of course).

And if you play it right (having the right civ also helps) you can avoid hitting any walls early on.

War is also possible, with a high enough population and the right advances. I usually try either limited warfare for specific ends (that city spot or that five territory) or I conquer my enemy without them being aware of it.

I do this by slowly advancing, as if I'm just making sure my population doesn't starve, then use boats and such to swiftly take a territory. It helps then to build a city on the border almost immediately so as to put up a good defense. Nearby you can have reinforcements that can arrive by boat if it looks as if the city might fall.

Hmm, a Poly meet to play civ...
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred

If you get blocked on advancing more than once winning is nearly impossible in any of the games I have played. There is always a block at the beginning because if get past the first block as early as possible you did it by sacrificing your ability to get past the second on the first try. So every gets blocked once. If you don't get blocked again you usually win and there is almost always someone that can get through with only the one block.

Since no one player can conquer another the only way to slow down the leader is for EVERYONE to attack him and even then if the players don't trade with the leader they will get blocked and fall further behind. The key to not getting blocked is to avoid the really bad calamities by managing the number of cities you have.
      I often did not get blocked at all in the games I won (And some of the ones I did I did not get blocked until the last or second to last turn)

and you can win if you have been blocked two or three times as long as that is happening to everyone else also...

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• egypt and babylon are the only civs that sometiems I egt blocked on early (and that is usually on purpose)

basically if you have 5-6 players, than you only want to go for the early citites (to stay unblocked) if the other civ is going for the early cities

at 7 or 8 it is easier to make both cutoffs if the other civ does not try for the first one

I know no other civs that have trouble with the first two cute offs (the only one that I know a lot of people have trouble with is the 5 colors and 9 civilization cards cut off)

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Advanced Civ's ugly flaw is Civil War. (1) It's way too severe and even worse (2) You can't trade it. When I played it on board I'd aways amend the Civil War rule. The only thing that's good about it is the boon to a player who has been destroyed by earlier calamities -- but, usually, he's been destroyed by a civil war!
          It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• hmm

usually (not always) there is little to no negative effects of a civil war (there is only one time I can remember in recent history where it really screwed over the player who got it and that was me when I had max on the board, everyone was doing well and the person right next to me was the beneficery (and I was crete))

most civil wars just hurt the player a little if at all

(but then the group that I play with pust an early emphasis on having drama and poety and music)

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• usually epidemic and piracy are worse than civil war (and the 7 and 8 calamities are often so too)

Jon miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• The best commodities in Civilization are the ones in the middle: grain, cloth, and bronze, as they worth the most as a whole set.

Civil War really doesn't hurt a player that much in the beginning, and there are advances that can reduce the effects (two of the big three - Law, Democracy, and Philosophy).
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Clue
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    The best commodities in Civilization are the ones in the middle: grain, cloth, and bronze, as they worth the most as a whole set.

Civil War really doesn't hurt a player that much in the beginning, and there are advances that can reduce the effects (two of the big three - Law, Democracy, and Philosophy).
                    and in advanced Civilization there is drama and poetry and music (both add 5 points)

I often include spice into the good area if the turn is a good turn

I have found that most good players are consistently at or above 7 cities at te end of a given turn

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                      Clue
                      I like that one a lot myself. I use the whole note sheet for each game. I don't even like taking my turn because it gets in the way of my note taking on everyone elses move. Half of my moves are arranged to minimize the amount of information I give to others with my questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X