No announcement yet.

Don't you just HATE cellular phones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with that money i can spend some days on the greek islands for example a much better way to spend them (since saving it is out of the question too)

Comment

yeah but i gotta work till next summer so i cant really go anywhere with my money so i basically just drink it away. =)

Comment

I hate them. Hell, I'm not all that big on the telephone to begin with, but to have the damn thing along with me all the time is way over the line. I have gone years at a time without phone service in the past. Sometimes I wish I didn't have one still. I probably call or receive a call about once a day from someone who I want to speak to, and about 3 times a day from people that I don't want to speak to.

I find people speaking into their cell phones on the bus etc. very annoying. Perhaps if everyone around them raised their voice as well and had an imaginary conversation these people could be harrassed or shamed into allowing the rest of us a little quiet space to think or rest in our busy days.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Pekka and fellow scandinavians: Move to a third world country like the US, and you'll shortly be crying for your good old scandinavian cellphone. Not to mention threatening bodily harm to your friends because they won't get one. Do you even remember how incredibly annoying it is to have friends late for a movie but you can't call them to ask whether you should wait for them or just go on without them?

I don't get the whole 'cellphones are antisocial' part. It totally depends on what you do with them. Ever called around to see who is up for dinner? Ever got a call from someone who wanted to see if you were interested in dinner? Did it make you feel appreciated? Ever realized that you didn't feel like going home and instead called a few friends to rendez-vous at a coffee shop?

BTW, what is wrong with the guy sitting at the bar alone and talking on his phone? Would you rather he'd go home to his lonely apartment? How is it more social to be alone than to talk to someone? Or are you implying that he should sit alone in the bar trying to strike up conversations with strangers? How often does that happen? How often have you done that? I often take the opportunity to call friends when I'm walking somewhere. The alternative is walking in silence. Does this make me anti-social? Hardly.

Intrigingly, the same people who complain about how cell phones are anti-social often complain about the content of the calls as well, how filled of banalities they are. Well, banalities are what call social interactions. When your friend asks you where you are, this has no real importance to his life. He asks because you are his friend. That is it.

'I hate cellphones because my boss can reach me all the time'. Well, this is a two-way street, isn't it? It all depends on what you do with it. I love the fact that my boss can reach me on my cellphone, cause that means I'm not tied to the office. I can work at home, on my balcony or in my couch, at the coffeeshop, on the lawn... It doesn't matter.

Finally, 'cellphones are rude'? Que? How is this possible? Is it the very act of ringing that is rude? If a friend sees you while talking with someone and crosses the street to say hi, does that make him rude? Wouldn't it be more rude for him NOT to cross the street? Quite frankly, it would be LESS rude for a friend with a cellphone to call, since he doesn't know whether you are talking to someone or not...

Or is it perhaps the PEOPLE who are rude? That would be my guess. Which makes it pretty stupid to blame the phones, doesn't it? I mean many people are complete *******s in trafic, but that doesn't make cars rude...

So Pekka, enjoy your cellphone. Cherish it. Buy it a second battery to keep it in power. Get a new phone with a more powerful vibrate function if you care about the ringing. And when you don't want to be disturbed - just turn it off. If your friends ***** about it, say you were masturbating. Or having sex. Or having a wicked dump. Or all three. make it clear that there ARE times when you are not talkative, no matter how important they think they are... If they don't understand that, maybe you should rethink your choice of friends instead of your choice of technology level...
          Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

The people in Finland told me they thought it was helping their society to be more talkative. Fighting the stereotype of the quiet, suicidal Finn, you know.
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Finns are normally suicidal? you learn something new everyday. must be that black metal music combined with the weather

Comment

A voice of reason from my neighbour. I have no problem with people speaking on phones be it in a bar or bus and about the boss thing no problems there either i can allways bill him if its a work related call.

Comment

What about the weather?? its 25Celsius out there now so im not complaining and i like the dark winters. Too bad nowdays it never get as cold as i used to when i was young

Comment

Thank you

Just spent the weekend in Las Vegas. 45 degrees. Man did I long for those cold swedish winters...

Comment

Which reminds me: this weekend I wanted to try the rollercoaster on the stratosphere while my girlfriend wanted to see the treasure island show. Only one key to the hotelroom, but two cellphones. Piece of cake, met up an hour later guided by the phones...

I love my T28W. (And my girlfriend as well, of course)

Comment

Paiktis22, I totally know what you are talking about. Those are the tough situation since my phone is the same as yours, can't mute it when someone is calling without dropping him/her. I HATE it!

CyberGnu, Yes, I see your points. I used to think that way too for a long long time .

Dissident, Yeah, I remember we being the most high ranking in the world (compared to population) in suicides among young males. It's good to lead at something. People get depressed in the winter because it's dark all the time. I, however, enjoy all the seasons, winter especially. I like the darkness MUAhahaha!
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

well, I guess that effectively killed that thread

Comment

I have a new argument: if we keep using cell phones, the terrorists win!
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

i thought it was drugs

Comment

Well we could argue about if it's drug or not.. it's not a substance itself, but it sends radiation to your heard through your ear. It alters your brains, they will never be the same. You want to call again and again.. and recent studies show that it can be cause for brain cancer.
                                But I'd keep it separated from the war on drugs.
                                Terrorists wants us to use cell phones. So they are evil.
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X