Evil Indian Capitalist Polluters Kill Millions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Indian Capitalist Polluters Kill Millions

The US is not alone in killing millions through pollution. The Indians join the club. Check out this story on CNN:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Oh please! The US is not killing millions with pollution. The US has better technology industries than India... which emit less pollution and are more advanced now and the US can put laws against heavy polluting. (Not the illogical Kyoto protocol that is retroactive but real, business and environment friendly laws)

India thinks it can do the same thing Europe and the US did and that is go through heavy pollutive industrialization.

There is one sensible solution: They should receive help to bypass heavy industrialization and go straight to high tech (and lesser polluting) industrialization.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
      Oh please! The US is not killing millions with pollution. The US has better technology industries than India... which emit less pollution and are more advanced now and the US can put laws against heavy polluting. (Not the illogical Kyoto protocol that is retroactive but real, business and environment friendly laws)
      Like SUVs?

Comment

Fez good SUV's bad

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

Like SUVs?
          That is one exception.

It is not like Europe is doing a better job. Even my own country, Spain, has issues with pollution.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I thought Ned was a conservative.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Fez

That is one exception.

It is not like Europe is doing a better job. Even my own country, Spain, has issues with pollution.

From what I saw, around half the cars over there are SUVs. One exception? Try a few millions.

And I thought Europe was reducing levels of pollution

Comment

Che, I really could never figure out where he was on the political scale...

Comment

From what I saw, around half the cars over there are SUVs. One exception? Try a few millions.
                  I have to disagree.

And I thought Europe was reducing levels of pollution

Yeah right.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    I thought Ned was a conservative.
                    Che, Yes, I am. This is just a bit of sarcasim.

I'm just sick and tired of world, especially the third world's, focus on the US as the source of all pollution, when apparently it is our technology that has reduced pollution enormously. The absent of modern technology, coupled with large populations, seems to lead to worse pollution. Thus this story.

This is a obvious problem with no obvious solution.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ned, you are right on the spot. But if the US did the same thing to get where it is today (with an advanced economy) then why shouldn't India? The industrialization occured somewhere around the mid 1800s, and led to bad pollution problems until technology got better in the 20th century.

But I have a solution that might be workable, why not help India and China bypass heavy industrialization and go right to more modern industralization?

Comment

business and environment friendly laws

Haha... And in one sentence

And about India, Ned is right, how dares an ordinary third world country try to reach our level of consumption without the money to spend on Fez' high tech! Why don't all them underdeveloped peoples stay in their gutter?

I wonder why sometimes the Kommie sympathies of my youth come up in my head every now and then?
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                          Ned, you are right on the spot. But if the US did the same thing to get where it is today (with an advanced economy) then why shouldn't India? The industrialization occured somewhere around the mid 1800s, and led to bad pollution problems until technology got better in the 20th century.
                          So there are no bad pollution problems today? With your head stuck in the sand like that you'll drown come global warming.

But I have a solution that might be workable, why not help India and China bypass heavy industrialization and go right to more modern industralization?
                          Because that would create competitors and less sweatshop workers.

Comment

Notice key differences in the way CNN and the BBC report the causes of this awfulness.

CNN report:
                            "Biomass burning" from forest fires, vegetation clearing and fossil fuel was just as much to blame for the shrouding haze as dirty industries from Asia's great cities, the study found.
                            BBC report:
                            He said: "The haze is the result of forest fires, the burning of agricultural wastes, dramatic increases in the burning of fossil fuels in vehicles, industries and power stations, and emissions from millions of inefficient cookers burning wood, cow dung and other 'bio-fuels'."
                            The CNN report neglects to mention vehicles and power stations. What a surprise.

Comment

So there are no bad pollution problems today? With your head stuck in the sand like that you'll drown come global warming.
                              Yes there are bad pollution problems and I never denied that. But the US has gotten better and as technology improves these bad pollution problems will dimish.

Because that would create competitors and less sweatshop workers.
                              What are you talking about? It won't. It will just create a more adequate industry for India.

Why don't all them underdeveloped peoples stay in their gutter?

I wonder why sometimes the Kommie sympathies of my youth come up in my head every now and then?
                              Why shouldn't a country like India pursuit development? Why shouldn't they have their chance at developed status? The answer is this: They most definitely deserve that chance. Retroactive treaties like Kyoto will do nothing but stall economic progress for the entire world but that is not the issue... they deserve the right to reach economic modernization. But is there a way to do it faster and so it pollutes less? Damn well there is. That is what the beauty of capitalism is... it produces advancements and good solid economic growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X