The World's Most Important Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's Most Important Battles

THe Germanic Tribes thread provides an example of the long-term historical importance of certain battles. What have been the world's most important battles from an historical perspective as opposed to a purely military perspective? Here is an initial list to start this impossibly broad topic. Since I am no historian, feel free to add or argue as you see fit.
    Salamis 480 BC
    9.14%
    Zama 202 BC
    2.29%
    Teutoberger Wald 9 AD
    3.43%
    Adrianople 378
    2.86%
    Badr 624
    1.14%
    Tours 732
    12.57%
    Talas River 751
    1.71%
    Hastings 1066
    10.29%
    Ayn Jalut 1259
    0.00%
    Tenochtitlan 1521
    2.29%
    Spanish Armada 1588
    10.29%
    Vienna 1683
    6.29%
    Saratoga 1777
    3.43%
    Waterloo 1815
    9.14%
    Stalingrad 1942
    14.29%
    Midway 1942
    4.57%
    The Sinking of the Banana Boats
    6.29%
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Where was that list?

Well I will start with battle for Stalingrad.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Damn. This was supposed to be a poll.
      Can some mod help me fix it???

Anyway, here are the entries, in chronological order:

Salamis 480 BC
      Zama 202 BC
      Teutoburger Wald 9 AD
      Adrianople 378
      Badr 624
      Tours 732
      Talas River 751
      Hastings 1066
      Ayn Jalut 1259
      Tenochtitlan 1521
      Spanish Armada 1588
      Vienna 1683
      Saratoga 1777
      Waterloo 1815
      Stalingrad 1942
      Midway 1942
      Old posters never die.

Comment

I don't see a list, but how about Thermopylae? Key delaying battle enables Greeks to get their act together. Without it, European history could have been vastly different.
        What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Whooo.. I guessed one right

maybe Ming can help you turn this in a poll?
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Saratoga was immensly important in that one battle basically created the United States as a viable thing. The revolt was used by many other colonies in trying to rid their overloards.

I also have to make a case for the Battle of Tannenburg, 1915. It was the only chance for Russia to win on that front, and they almost did it, but the Germans split them and crushed them, and the war, after that, was lost to the Russkies, and it started the long slide to revolution.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'll just name a few up to 500AD:

480BC - Salamis: Preservation of the Western Culture

332BC - Gaugamela: Destruction of the Persian Empire and foundation of the Hellenic Empire.

119BC - Fifth Han Offensive against Huns: Firm establishment of Han(Chinese) power in East Asia, Hun
              westward migration begun, opening of the Silk Route.

9AD - Teutoburger Forest: Roman conquest of Germany failed.

378AD - Adrianople: Destruction sequence of the Western Roman Empire and onset of Middle Age begun.

451AD - Chalon: Preservation of the West from Hunnish onslaught, Hun migration stopped.

There were several other important battles such as Kadesh 1245BC, Granicus 334BC, Ipsus 301BC, Chang Ping 260BC, Cannae 216BC, Zama and Gai Xia 202BC, Cynocephalae 197BC, Corinth? 168BC, Carraeh 53BC, Alesia 52BC, Actium 31BC, Guan Du 200AD, Chi Bi 208AD, and Rome 410AD, but I would rather consider their effects to be either localized, only part of a long chain of events, or already a foregone conclusion.

Comment

The World's Most Important Battles

Trying to get it right this time....

The Germanic Tribes thread provides an example of the long-term historical importance of certain battles. What have been the world's most important battles from an historical perspective as opposed to a purely military perspective? Here is an initial list to start this impossibly broad topic. Since I am no historian, feel free to add or argue as you see fit.

Rich: If you can pull the posts in from the other thread I would appreciate it. Thanks much.
                Last edited by Adam Smith; August 9, 2002, 14:23.
                Old posters never die.

Comment

Cannae lost out in importance because Hannibal didn't follow up his victory sufficiently quickly. If he had, then that would have been the most important battle easily and we would have a very different world today.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Rich:

Thanks for the help.
                    Last edited by Adam Smith; August 9, 2002, 15:03.
                    Old posters never die.

Comment

Your missing Lepanto where Venice broke the Moslem hold on the Mediteranean.

Not the most important I suppose but one of them. Up there with Saratoga anyway as if the Brits had won the Americans would have retreated as they did so many times before and fought again another day so we can't be certain that the world would be very different with an American victory.

Comment

what was that battle that the Catholics managed to stop the Mongols? IIRC, in the area of the Chechia today.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Good thread Smith

1453 Constantinople - Marked a turning point in world history, and paved the way for the Ottoman's brief period as Europe's greatest power.

Tours 732 - Charles Martel prevented Europe from falling to the Arabs. Perhaps if this were an Arab victory we would all be worshipping Allah right now.

Salamis 480 BC - Just imagine where we would be if Xerxes and his boys overran Greece. No Socrates, no Aristotle, no Greece to influence Rome etc. It is hard to imagine what the world would be like if Persia won.

1942 Stalingrad - Allowed the Soviet Union to to turn the tide against the Nazi war machine.

I don't recall the date, or the name of the battle, but the battle where the Japanese resisted the Mongol invasion has to be a fairly important one as well.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

oh, and DanS is very correct. I remember reading about this battle in my Roman history readings. It was quite typical of Hannibal, btw.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Zama is another big one in terms of Carthaginian/Roman history.
                              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X