Clear All

• Re: Ahem, excuse me but...

Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
    ...you are so wrong.

Soccer is the game they play in heaven.

Rugby is the game they play in hell.

Soccer requires real skill.

Rugby only requires brute force.

Soccer talent is found on the local playing field.

Rugby talent is found at the local All You Can Eat.

The color green is good.

The color red is bad.

Thank You. Have a nice day.
    Caligastia? How are you coming along with the filter? We can add Kiwis - well, the soccer enthusiasts, anyway - to its capacity too.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthVeda
      Funny I thought they'd play skeeball in heaven...
      Caligastia? Tweak the filter to include morons? Thanks muchly.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• get this pedestrian out of my midst! HE does not know a joke/unsubtle reference to Kevin Smith movie when he hears it!

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthVeda
          get this pedestrian out of my midst! HE does not know a joke/unsubtle reference to Kevin Smith movie when he hears it!
          What Kevin Smith movie? To what and whom are you referring to?
          Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
          Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

• Re: Ahem, excuse me but...

Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
            ...you are so wrong.

Soccer is the game they play in heaven.

Rugby is the game they play in hell.

Soccer requires real skill.

Rugby only requires brute force.

Soccer talent is found on the local playing field.

Rugby talent is found at the local All You Can Eat.

The color green is good.

The color red is bad.

Thank You. Have a nice day.
            Really? Is that why your 'All Whites' are so good?

Dont we adore soccer players, especially the when Italy wanted to sue Fifa for bad ref calls. We get on with it in rugby.

Isn't it spectacular when players like Rivaldo fall for no reason and have a cry. If a rugby player did that no one would notice.

And don't we all love to worship them when they become so big headed like Keane - who earns 250 000 odd a week - who feels he's too good for his national team. Rugby players are down to earth and share a beer after a game.

What a great sport. Hey rusty gamer , tell it to someone who cares
            Last edited by NeoStar; August 11, 2002, 07:22.
            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
              It was a penalty try only in the mind of NH ref McHugh. And, I have to say, it was one of the most incompetent decisions I've seen in Test rugby for a long time.

A penalty try is only awarded when a try would, in all probability, have been scored without the infringement. Umaga was brought down by two Boks - one high, and yes, it was clearly too high; the other around the legs, bringing him down regardless. In other words, probability didn't enter into it. A try would not have resulted without the high tackle. The second tackler - around Umaga's legs - saw to that. The correct decision would have been to penalise the high tackle.
              The high tackle was what prevented Umaga from scoring. At first I would have agreed with you about the penalty try, but when I saw the game a second time I realised why the penalty try was given. Umaga would have slid over the line if it wasnt for the head-high tackle. The head-high tackle was the only thing that spun him around enough to bring him crashing down 1ft away from the line. It was a fair call IMO. Even if it had only been a penalty awarded, it would have been an easy 3 points for mehrtens to kick, and NZ still would have won.

McHugh's other major clanger. It wasn't obstruction by the Bok hooker. Here are the relevant laws:
              The ball was nowhere in the vicinity of the defending players that McHugh said were obstructed. It had already been passed wide. This was just an example of the NH phobia about dummy runners. Sometimes dummy runners do obstruct defenders and they should be penalised. In this case, McHugh got it very wrong and cost the Boks 5 points.
              The try wouldnt have been scored anyway because the All Blacks that were defending against Paulse had seen the ref blow his whistle (even if they didnt hear it) and stopped playing.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Caligastia? Tweak the filter to include morons? Thanks muchly.
                Im starting to think we really need something to keep out the know-nothings

Comment

• Re: Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven - Bank A/c at 11/8/02

Originally posted by finbar
                  I can only assume that the entire New Zealand nation will be sending champagne and flowers to David McHugh to speed his recovery from his dislocated shoulder. He was, after all, singlehandedly responsible for gifting them at least 12 points in last night's match.

Do I detect a hint of sour grapes?

Youre totally wrong about David McHugh, I think he did a great job till he was tackled by that idiot springbok supporter. By the way, I hope he got a good kicking in the back room for what he did.

Good onya McCaw for giving him a punch in the face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                    The high tackle was what prevented Umaga from scoring. At first I would have agreed with you about the penalty try, but when I saw the game a second time I realised why the penalty try was given. Umaga would have slid over the line if it wasnt for the head-high tackle. The head-high tackle was the only thing that spun him around enough to bring him crashing down 1ft away from the line. It was a fair call IMO. Even if it had only been a penalty awarded, it would have been an easy 3 points for mehrtens to kick, and NZ still would have won.
                    I've watched it half a dozen times. He wasn't going to slide over the line. The tackle around his legs precluded that. The only way he'd have got over the line would have been via a double movement. Regardless, the AB charge-down that led to Umaga getting the ball was from an offside position.

The try wouldnt have been scored anyway because the All Blacks that were defending against Paulse had seen the ref blow his whistle (even if they didnt hear it) and stopped playing.
                    Nup. Sorry.

Comment

• Re: Re: Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven - Bank A/c at 11/8/02

Originally posted by Caligastia

Do I detect a hint of sour grapes?
                      Far from it! I backed the ABs! And the Wallabies were always going to be struggling to make up the points difference, anyway, after the differences in the margins between the AB win over the Boks and our win over the Boks. Basically, we're going to pay for our fade-out in the Boks match. Serves us right.

As I said in one of my other posts, it was a brilliant game of rugby. The ABs played a great game. Countering the Boks playing as they were - so unpredictably, running from all over the place - was enormously difficult.

I do wonder, though, how long Justin Marshall can hold his place in front of Byron Kellaher. I know Marshall and Mehrtens are Crusaders team-mates and therefore an established combination, with the bonuses that brings, but I think Kellaher's a super player - better tactically than Marshall, and definitely more aggressive.

Youre totally wrong about David McHugh, I think he did a great job till he was tackled by that idiot springbok supporter. By the way, I hope he got a good kicking in the back room for what he did.
                      His clangers aside, I think he did a reasonable job. It's just that his clangers were big ones. I'll be interested to hear the NH opinion, though, because I think he missed offside play (from both sides) - a common NH complaint about SH refs - and he seemed to vary the time he'd allow a tackled player on the ground to release the ball. To be perfectly honest, I think the speed of the game - and it was played at an extraordinary tempo - might have caught him out of position more than once.

Good onya McCaw for giving him a punch in the face.
                      I think it was perfectly understandable. It's just - legally - a dangerous thing to do.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven - Bank A/c at 11/8/02

Originally posted by finbar

As I said in one of my other posts, it was a brilliant game of rugby. The ABs played a great game. Countering the Boks playing as they were - so unpredictably, running from all over the place - was enormously difficult.

Bah humbug.
                        After not starting until 11:45pm (local time), when the [bleep]in match had actually finished, my reception went from bad to worse and I finally had to give up and turn the darned thing off before the end of the first half.
                        Up until this point I had been enjoying a thoroughly entertaining match too.

Overall the penalty try was one thing I did actually agree with, but then I tend to think a number of other such instances go unpunished. Consistency among referees being somewhat lacking (shock, horror ) I guess. C'est la vie.

It'll make for an interesting match next weekend though. Anybody have the required margin for the wallabies to win and take the cup ((?) I've forgotten whether it is actually a cup. heh)?
                        Will they go all out right from the start and risk losing the match in an attempt to take the series?

Comment

• Re: Re: Ahem, excuse me but...

Originally posted by NeoStar

Really? Is that why your 'All Whites' are so good?
                          A very bold statement there if I may say so. Or did you perhaps miss the results from the last encounter between the All-whites and the Socceroos?

And don't we all love to worship them when they become so big headed like Keane - who earns 250 000 odd a week - who feels he's too good for his national team.
                          *cough* Christian Vieri (sp?) *cough*

Its not really the same thing to compare the two sports. Soccer is much more marketable in Europe and players naturally earn more and have to take more notice of their clubs needs over their nations. If they're injured its the club that foots the bill in lost wages for idle players.
                          Very similar to grid iron/basketball in the states.
                          "With great salary comes great responsibility".

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven - Bank A/c at 11/8/02

Originally posted by ravagon
                            Bah humbug.
                            After not starting until 11:45pm (local time), when the [bleep]in match had actually finished, my reception went from bad to worse and I finally had to give up and turn the darned thing off before the end of the first half.
                            Up until this point I had been enjoying a thoroughly entertaining match too.
                            I wonder if they'll show next week's match - in which we are involved - at anything approaching the real time? I suspect not, unfortunately for you. I can't see them interrupting primetime Saturday night programming for rugby. As it is, here in Sydney, 7 showed it on a half-hour delay. I actually watched it in real time on FoxSports with Bok commentators.

It'll make for an interesting match next weekend though. Anybody have the required margin for the wallabies to win and take the cup ((?) I've forgotten whether it is actually a cup. heh)?
                            Will they go all out right from the start and risk losing the match in an attempt to take the series?
                            Of course they will. There's no prize for second. The Wallabies have to score 4 tries (for the bonus point) and win by 26 points to overcome the points difference with the ABs.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Ahem, excuse me but...

A very bold statement there if I may say so. Or did you perhaps miss the results from the last encounter between the All-whites and the Socceroos?
                              Enough with the soccer already!

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Ahem, excuse me but...

A division three Socceroos - stupid Soccer Australia

Don't mind me on that post, I just went off at the rugby bagger. Soccer's a good sport, but I dislike the politics...

We better not go on for finbar's sake

Anyone catch that Sharkies game? They're the only league team I follow. That 1st half was the most perfect half of football I've seen in that code 40 0dd - zip.

Back on the main game - well Jones seems to be confident we can get the 25 points needed. Can't help be worried though, if the Springbok play like that again...
                                "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Working...
                                X